Brit style speakers in Fender amps- It's a great sound

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by noname_dragon, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Holic

2. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Holic

I have a 5e3 and PR that I play occasionally through a pair of Weber British speakers (Blue Pup + Silver Ten). Sounds great. Or I'll combine an American with a British. I like as many sound combos as I can get.

007.JPG

3. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I tried a pair of G10 Greenbacks in my 2x10 Deluxe Reverb. Pretty good sound, but had some unpleasant spikes.

I tried a pair of G10-SC64s (Eminence/Allessandro). Pretty good sound, but had some unpleasant spikes—at different frequencies than the Greenbacks.

So I tried one of each. Bingo! Best of both worlds. The peaks on one speaker seem to fill in the valleys on the other and vice versa.

TequilaCaster and uriah1 like this.
  4. powerwagonjohn

powerwagonjohn Tele-Meister

I am pretty much a old Jensen guy along with some Altec goodness. But I do have a old pair of G12 greenback speakers mounted in a 2X12 cab that sound great with any of my amps, especially if I am looking for some quick break up and don't want to crank my 67 Bassman with 4 EV's.
    Thanks john

5. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

Old Jensens aren't being made anymore. Too bad. Old Celestions aren't either, but I guess the newer Celestions helped in that series of amps for getting a bit of a crunchier sound.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Straydogger likes this.
  6. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Holic

Hah. I didn't mean "old" Jensens. I just meant good old trusty Jensens. They do put them in some amps. Maybe they got a deal they couldn't pass up from Celestion? You're probably right though. It's probably the Celestion sound they are after. Those V-Type Celestions are pretty nice. A buddy put one in his Peavey Classic 30 and that amp never sounded that good.

7. sudogeek

sudogeek Tele-Meister

For years I used a Celestion G10S-50 in my PR - the best of many speakers I tried. Recently, I have been using my G&L ASAT more and I found the Eminence Alessandro GA10 was a bit better to my ears.

8. sjwieczorkow

sjwieczorkow Tele-Holic

Yes!

I had a Celestion Gold in my Brownface Princeton Reverb. I also have a Weber 12f150B (no longer made) that is "British Voiced" as well as two Weber Blue Dog's in my Tweed Victoria Ivy League. American speakers are cool, but sometimes I get tired of that "reedy" or "woody" tone. Apples and oranges really.

9. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

I used to play through a pair of little Valco 1 x 10 tweed tube amps; they looked like this:

upload_2020-1-13_17-4-2.jpeg

They were probably 10-15 watts each (2 x 12ax7, 2 x 6973, 5y3) and I replaced the blown original speaker with a Celestion G10-S50. It worked great. It seemed like a pretty smooth-sounding speaker and was not breaking a sweat when that amp was running at 60-75% on the volume knob (above that point it didn’t get louder or toothier, just more compressed, to my ear).

uriah1 likes this.
  10. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

I wouldn't consider myself a speaker guru, but I've tried enough different types in different amps to conclude that one cannot simply go on general impressions of "American" or "British" flavors. It really seems to depend on the exact speaker being tested in that amp.

That said, I agree that what are typically more British-flavored speakers can sound great in blackface-style "scooped" EQ amps as a complement to that "American" tone. In particular, I thought the Eminence GB 128 is a great sounding speaker, and I like the Celestion Blue as well.

My own preference, however, is to start with a fairly scooped EQ and be able to add midrange with pedals and take it away again with the push of a button.

thebowl and dannyh like this.
  11. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

V30s in my Twin Reissue helped.

12. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

Which speakers come in that amp from the factory?

13. sugarinthegourd

sugarinthegourd Tele-Meister

The Alnico Celestion speakers sound great in Fender amps but I dislike the classic British-style ceramics in Fenders.

14. sugarinthegourd

sugarinthegourd Tele-Meister

Jensen C-12Ks, right?

15. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

Correct. The Jensen C12K's. Mine sounded pretty brittle in the high end. They were in there for a couple years and were broken in. I just never liked them.

I had some Eminence Texas Heats in there for a while and were a great improvement over the Jensens in my opinion. I used that combination for a few years. The voice coil fried on one of them and I had a pair of V30s lying around so I put them in. I liked that sound better even. I guess I like the added mids the amp is somewhat lacking. I'm sure they're not for everyone.

A couple country guitarists whose tone I admire are Brent Mason and Reggie Young and the V30 was the choice to use with their Fender amps. Steve Wariner might also use a V30 in his favorite Deluxe Reverb but I wouldn't hold that to me.

16. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Damn males me want to tey out a spare v30 I have laying around in my PRRI....

But I love it stock.

Do agree with those who think the ice picky stuff is to much for them and want a Celestion in Fender to fix the issue...

But for me the alnico P12Q Jenson is a perfect sound and give that classic American/Italian tone.

Celestion equiped Fenders sound amazing though.

17. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I'm a mix guy. I like multiple speaker amps the best.

My tweed Twin has a Celestion Neo Creamback and a Jensen 12-100. Fantastic combo! These replaced an Eminence 1258/Creamback 65 combo... Which was also incredible sounding. The Twin being the jump off for the JTM45 (5f8-a being very similar to the 5f6-a), it's kinda like the split between American and British amplification. I kinda like playing that up... But mostly, I just love the way this amp sounds with this split.

My '59 Bassman Ri is all American voiced speakers (Jensen P10r's and Eminence 1028alk's). I contemplated some 10" Golds, or maybe the new G120 creambacks. But, I like the weight of alnicos in this amp. I would definitely go for some Neos, though. If Celestion comes out with a 10" Neo Creamback, I would be heavily tempted to find a pair to mix into this amp.

I had a Gold in my 5e3. I loved it at volume, it was a fire breather! But, at low volumes, the 5e3 and Gold combo was just too dark. I lucked into an Eminence 1228 at a great price and could not be happier. I am very tempted to try the Creamback 65 (from the Twin) in the 5e3 for a few months to see if I like it. i think the CB65 is not as dark as the Gold? Maybe?

18. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

@Obelisk
    What letter comes after the G10 in the G10-50 speakers you are describing? How do they sound in comparison to the G10L-35 units that typically come in that 1965B? While I really like my stock 1965B, I wouldn't mind hearing a tiny bit more highs, or maybe a tiny bit less lows. Also, while assuming that the G10?-50 is no longer available, what cabinet is a source for them?

Thank You,
    Gene

19. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Vintage 30s in a vintage Twin (64 BF) for 25 years. Sounds great.

20. AngryTiger

AngryTiger TDPRI Member

For some reason I would love to try Fender with Greenback. XD

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.