Brit style speakers in Fender amps- It's a great sound

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by noname_dragon, Jan 13, 2020.

1. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Meister

It's not a classic Fender tone but it's useful, easily heard, and rocks hard. Examples:
    EMI GB-128's in a BF Bandmaster
    Celestion G10 Greenbacks in SF Vibrolux
    Celestion V30 in SF Deluxe

What say you O Fender gurus?

sjwieczorkow and Dukex like this.
  2. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I have a very old V30 in my hopped-up Princeton Reverb. It works well in a live classic-rock situation.

3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

True they rock hard. I have cream,gold in a couple Fenders.
    However, that said, All the chimey goodness of
    the classic American sound is still available
    with the c12n types or the super reverb CTS,etc.

4. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I have a British Celestion Creamback in my DRRI and its great... but then I’m a Brit! Smoother than stock no treble spiking and very punchy especially at stage volumes.

The-Kid, Dukex and noname_dragon like this.
  5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Funny...to me it's just the opposite. I like Jensen-style speakers, (Fender Eminence) in my Vox amps. To each his/her own. ;)

The-Kid and noname_dragon like this.
  6. Tube Life

Tube Life TDPRI Member

I prefer American voiced speakers with Fender amps (Most of the time). Currently have JBL D120’s in SF Twin, Weber 10F125/10A125 in a Super Reverb, Weber 10F150/10A150T 2x10 Proluxe. But the British voiced speakers sound great in the 72’ Bassman with a DIY Fender clone 2x12 closed back cab. I went with the Weber Silver Dog/Grey Wolf combo, nice for grind/cranked mid forward punch, but also cleans up nicely with some chime too.

sugarinthegourd and Dukex like this.
  7. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

My Deluxe Reverb had a greenback in it when I bought it in 1980, replaced it with a C12Q and later a P12N (and 5881s) Celestions are great if you aren't looking for a Fender sound I suppose.

Dukex and nojazzhere like this.
  8. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

They can be nice. Robben Ford uses a Celestion G12-65 in his Deluxe Reverb. I tried about 5 versions of that speaker in my DR, they were nice, but not quite what I wanted.
    Also had a GB in there for a time. Sounded good, GB's don't sound really "Brit" to me. Just a clean sound that breaks up fairly early. Nice on leads with that break up, but for chording etc wasn't my favorite. A DR needs a more sensitive speaker I think.
    The EMI GB128 is nice.

Dukex likes this.
  9. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

Celestion style speakers in a Fender is a different sort of sound, but a good sound.
    How would you say the GB128 differed from a Greenback?

Dukex likes this.
  10. schmee

It seems much different really. Which, by construction I guess it should be. Big 1.75" voice coil for one thing. But the GB has that I think. Which is weird for a 25 watt speaker! GB128 is More wattage handling. It's warmer sounding a bit and doesn't give it up early either. Before the GB is pushed hard, it is jangley clean.
    The GB's do go into "compression" where they smooth out when pushed real hard like a loud lead or solo. This is similar to the old Jensen paper voice coil low wattage speakers ... and I suppose that's both GB and Vintage Jensen speakers claim to fame.
    Just my take.

11. guitphil

guitphil TDPRI Member

I have an early 70's SFDR and it had the original blue label Fender in it. Large dust cap medium size magnet. not sure if it was an Oxford, CTS, Jensen or what. Still have it in a box though. I remember plugging into some other cabs I had on hand out of curiosity which included 4-10 alnico Mojotones, and a 2x12 bandmaster cab with V30's. From that I ended up using a V30 in it for awhile but didn't really feel the luv. It just seemed too sterile and had a spike in the high mids that got on my nerves. Then I remembered a BF Pro-Reverb that I owned years ago and it had 2 Jensen 12's in it and always loved the sound of that amp. About that time I ran across an ad or discussion about best speakers for Deluxe Reverb and the C12N seemed to be a popular candidate. I purchased one from Weber and that's the speaker that's still in it today and it sounds great to my ears. It took a little while for it to break in but I kind of sped up the process by playing program material through it for a few days at moderate listening volumes and then turned it up a bit in another room on about 3 or 4. upload_2020-1-13_11-29-49.png

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Vibrolux59 likes this.
  12. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

Your description of qualities of vintage greenbacks and jensens sounds spot on to me, so I have to assume that your description of a GB128 must hold water too. Thanks. I guess that's good reason for running greenbacks in 412's and more, retaining more of that lower power upper frequency crunchiness/jangle without compressing too much under the pressure of a mid to high power amp (and keeping the things from blowing of course).

Any way, these videos from Johan Segeborn seem relevant here:

Fender Combo + Vintage Celestion = Marshall?

Vintage Greenback Vs Vintage Jensen
    (Marshall)

Keep in mind that the beyerdynamic ribbon that he typically records with adds a significant amount of upper harmonic sweetness to the sound, which is all over most of his videos (not in the Fender Combo video above). But lower power vintage celestions and jensens sound great nonetheless. Makes me wonder why speaker manufacturers are having such a hard time doing the same today.

I think I'm going to have to try my Super through some lower power Jensens or Celestions. It might just satisfy that old Marshall itch enough not to require one.

13. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Meister

My Super Champ with 12" speaker:

IMG_7944.JPG IMG_7942.JPG IMG_7942.JPG IMG_7944.JPG IMG_7942.JPG IMG_7944.JPG IMG_7942.JPG

14. schmee

Cool stuff! Thanks. I do like those 55Hz GB's... tried one in the past.
    The first video. Super Reverb is with Blackbacks right? Sounds good. Hard to make a Super sound bad I guess. But the original Super speakers are probably not far off from the old Jensens or etc. Some of the Super speakers, CTS I think, had paper voice coil formers. Weber made some replacements for a few years, great light duty speakers for 4 x 10 applications. I think they dont make them anymore. But I wish I never sold the sets I had.

uriah1 likes this.
  15. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

A good Tele, into an old Bassman head, with a cab full of V30s or G12s. Turn up to 6, jump the channels, add reverb …….

:cool:

Dukex and 8trackmind like this.
  16. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic

I was finally happy with the sound of my green-board Blues Jr after I replaced the stock speaker with a G12H30 Anniversary.

Maybe a UK-voiced speaker in an EL84 amp isn’t so radical. :D

Vibrolux59 and uriah1 like this.
  17. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Holic

Eminance Ramrod in a 68 princeton custom is my go to amp.
    [​IMG]
    Gb128 in an Ampeg J20 Jet. (Brown Deluxe clone)
    [​IMG]
    Both are too loud.:eek:

Dukex and uriah1 like this.
  18. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

What I notice in that 'Fender Combo' video is that the Super loses the glassy top. And it doesn't have the cutting treble of a Marshall (can definitely hear that Fender scoop). It sounds Marshall'esqe in a tamer sort of way. On the other hand, I imagine that if I played an old school Marshall through the CTS speakers in my Super, it might be way too bright.

I have a Weber G12H30 here and plan to pickup a 1225 from them at some point, so I hill have to try this with the Super to see what's what.

19. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

A Deluxe Reverb with a Celestion Gold sounds pretty damn good

sugarinthegourd and Dukex like this.
  20. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

I have had a couple of Bandmaster cabs with replaced baffles and a pair of late 70's G12-80 with Kurt Mueller 444 low resonance cones in them. They have both long been a go to cabs for me for various amps. I especially like my 6G3 and 6G9A heads through these cabs. They sound full and brash. I also have an early 80's Marshall 1965B cab. This is a 4x10 with a quad of G10-50 speakers(the baby G12-65). This cab being pushed hard by my Deluxe Reverb sounds awesome. Depending on your needs, the original G12-65 works great for a Deluxe Reverb. If you want more cleans, the G12-80 also works great in a Deluxe Reverb. A Celestion Gold 10 in a Princeton 6G2 sounds great. I would opt for a G10-35 or G10-50 in a Princeton Reverb though the Gold will work in them as well. For Super, I bet a set of G10-50 would be awesome though I have never tried them with that amp.

Johan makes killer demos. The Celestion speakers in the amp are the predecessors to the late 70's G10-50 speakers. I usually go for the G10-50 because they are way easier to source than the earlier black back T2770. I had a T2770 in a 72 Princeton Reverb that just slayed. Should have kept that amp, but sold it to a friend who needed a studio amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.