1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Brilliant corners. How do you cut them?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Paul-T, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Holic

So, like many here I managed to sort out a lockdown project, namely a 5E3. I've practised my tolexing already with a FET Reverb, but I need to raise my game and get brilliant corners.

Like these corners below - specifically the 90 degree corners on each edge of the control panel

How do you folks do them?

Fortunately I kept the sharp edge in the middle of the roundover (if that makes sense). But how do you select exactly where to cut?

This seems to be one aspect I've not seen on Youtube etc etc etc. All advice on cutting corners appreciated. I used a scalpel which I think was a mistake, a one-sided sharp razord blade kind of rotated on that sharp edge might work. But what are the tricks to get it neat?

(PS I don't mean the internatl bend, where we add the little extra triangle, which wasn't too hard, I mean the corner on the far left int the first pic, at where the control panel recess meets the back side of the amp).

Also, there's this supernatural vintage example at the bottom that seems to have no cut line. I can't begin to see how this was covered. Ideas?

cornerexample.jpg old4.jpg

Snfoilhat likes this.
  2. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

I do all my cuts with an old Stanley 99 "sheet rock" knife.

You might as well have two of 'em. Put a fresh blade in one of 'em to do the corners.

To do control panel corners stick the covering down to one edge and use the bare edge for a guide. Then pull up the edge you just trimmed and trim the opposite edge. Get the cut right, push 'em together...

Tweed is a PITA. It's a lot easier to do perfect corners in tolex.

Paul-T and Treehouse like this.
  3. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Afflicted

No miracle, look closer and see the contrasting stripes behind the cut. I worried over my first sharp corner until I realized that you just cover the part that will be exposed.

4. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

I use a utility knife on that corner.
    A razor does not seem to have the control for that corner. OMMV.

That bottom 5e3 must have tweed that will stretch... nice trick!

5. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Holic

I repeated this question to jsnwhite in his 5F11 thread. I thought I'd paste his answers in here, just in case anyone else is googling for the same issue.

Kevin Wolfe likes this.
  6. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Holic

7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I was expecting...

Paul-T likes this.
  8. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Holic

I do love that album.

One of my key achievements in life was a headline for a magazine feature on Leonard Cohen, a story where he talked about his stealing ideas for songs, and his time in a monastery. It was titled "Felonious Monk."

For more brilliant corners, here is a really good discussion on Dunehunter's thread, with great examples from axis29 and jsnwhite.

btw, in my covering so far, I've already learned from muchxs, even though my scalpel blades are super sharp, they're too flexible compared with a new Stanley knife blade, which seems to have much more inertia, due to the weight, and is much better for straight-line cuts.

BigDaddyLH likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.