1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Brighter Tele neck pickup?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by john john, Feb 16, 2015.

1. john john

john john TDPRI Member

Hello there!
    i guess it is discussed many times yet, but i didn't find anything about my really needs and i think that your direct experience can help me.

Well, i am planning to build a tele with aftermarket parts referred to '60ies models, so rosewood fingerboard and alder body with classic style pickups. But i am worried about the neck pickup. I have had a Fender telecaster Custom '62 made in japan and was great, especially the look (double bound sunburst body, rosewood board and glossy vintage maple neck). Sound was great, but only on the bridge pickup, a fantastic hand made similar to a Fralin blues special. Neck pick up instead was useless... too dark the original, little better with a SD Antiquity, but always too much boomy for my taste. Also the central position was darken by the neck pickup.
    Now i am looking for something brighter, but without loosing the look and sound (no HB and no uncovered neck pickup).

I play indie, classic rock, psychedelia...

i was looking to fender original vintage or maybe pure vintage 64, but also other brands. But without testing pickups by myself i have to get at least an idea by your descriptions...

Any suggestions?

thanks in advance...

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Onamac tall blues set, search eBay

Or fender twisted tele neck pickup

3. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

Fender Twisted Tele
    GFS Fatbody Neck

4. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Fender twisted tele. It's my favorite and it's nice and sparkley and bright sounding.

5. Dustin_J

Dustin_J Tele-Meister

Edit: N/A - I didn't notice that you hadn't got pickups yet.

6. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Keystones if you want vintage '60s Tele with clarity you can see through. DiMarzio Twang Kings are another good choice. The Onamac Tall Blues waparker suggests are dynamite pickups if you want a little more grit out of the bridge and the neck is beautifully clear and "Strat-like".

7. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Keystone neck. Super low inductance (1.6Henry) means lots of highs.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  8. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Twang king. Of the ones i have used at least, none were close. Clarity and chime like nothing else i've heard. Blows away the nocaster it replaced for clarity.

9. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

if you're okay with a little single coil hum, the twang king neck is the best pickup i've ever heard. sounds big and open like a strat neck pickup... but it still keeps a tele flavor to it. great sound.

if you want noiseless, the dimarzio area T is pretty close to the sound of the twang king. the lawrence L202 was a little too thin for my tastes... but might be exactly what you're looking for

10. BillNeaves

BillNeaves Tele-Meister

+1 on neck Twang King... I have them in both of my guitars. Very clear, not muddy... But full too. The treble actually sounds good on it.

11. jhergert

jhergert Tele-Meister

Harmonic Design Mini Strat,

12. The vandal

The vandal Tele-Meister

+1 on the twang king. It's a great sounding pup, bright, almost Strat like, and reasonably priced.

13. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Looks like the Twang King is running away with it.
    My Am. Std. came with Rio Grande Vintage Tall Boys and the neck pickup is one of the best tele neck PUs I've ever used. It's an older model, I think, and uncovered, so it looks different.

14. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Since you want the traditional look. Make sure the cover is nickel silver not plated brass. The Keystones have chrome plated plastic covers also as an option.

My old 50's neck pickup is clear and has a plated brass cover. But it comes in at a 5.5k reading. That probably helps the clearer tone, maybe.

15. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

http://www.cavalierpickups.com/
    Rob DiStefano's Lioness neck pickup is a good one, bright and strong.
    Haven't tried the one with a cover, but his stuff is good.

16. judgew

judgew TDPRI Member

I just swapped my Keystone neck PU - back to an original vintage front pickup.
    The original vintage had more of the twangy and bright fender sound I was looking for in that position. I still have the Keystone in the bridge position and they blend pretty well in the center position (though out of phase - I just flipped the wires around on the neck pup to correct that).

17. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

Did you adjust the pickup height? Nothing has more highs, so it seems like you emphasized the lows with the height.

18. pacop

pacop TDPRI Member

I replaced a Twang King set with Hamels, tall neck is very strat like, clearer a beautiful tone, but Twang king are a good option for the price.

19. antennahead

antennahead Tele-Meister

I'll second that assessment. I have a Tall Boy (no cover) in the neck of my Tele and it does what you're asking for.

20. xhqm4457

xhqm4457 TDPRI Member

I have a Twang King and love it. Not wimpy at all. Very open and kind of Stratty, but maybe not quite as Stratty as a Twisted (which I have on order). The Twang King is a great value and I would highly recommend it. Easy to buy also.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.