Bright speaker for a dark amp ? Ampeg Gemini 1

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Mike Eskimo, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Original C12Q is still there but barely .

I jumper the inputs and run both trebles at 3 or 4 and the bass knobs at 8 or 9.

These were dark/warm to begin with as they were designed as jazz amps from what I’ve read.

It definitely doesn’t have to be a high-efficiency speaker as we gig so rarely these days so the new speaker would be for home use.

2. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Run the treble up and the bass down if it’s too dark for you the way you currently run it.

I had one. Never found it to be dark. Quite bright actually. Way too loud for home use for me.

3. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Eminence Red White and Blues, if it will fit.

If your idea of electric guitar is crisp, bright, staccato bursts, clear, sizzling chords, with lots of top-end sparkle and tight, tight bass, this is your speaker. One player’s “tight bass” is another’s “no bass,” however. So if you like booming lows that flap your pants legs, that you can feel in the soles of your feet, look elsewhere. This is a great lead guitar speaker for many kinds of rock, searing bright country, or to clean the mud off your humbucker tone.

4. Mike Eskimo

I meant 3 or 4 o’clock for treble and 8 or 9 o’clock for bass.

5. Mike Eskimo

Thanks for that and yeah - I’m pretty sure I could almost shoehorn two 12” speakers in this amp as the cabs are huuuuuge.

6. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Reissue P12Q
    Weber 12F125T
    Emi Legend 12
    Weber Blue Dog
    All can be plenty bright. There are brighter out there too I suppose but these are pretty cutting on the highs.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  7. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I have a '65 Reverberocket. Eminence legend 1258 has been great for it. Not dark at all.

Dismalhead and Mike Eskimo like this.
  8. Mike Eskimo

I’m almost sold on the Eminence Maverick .

BobbyZ and JustABluesGuy like this.
  9. powerwagonjohn

powerwagonjohn Tele-Meister

I have Gemini II with the 15" speaker. I think the cabinets are what give people the idea that these are dark amps. I believe it's the bass response of the cab that most people are not used to. I tried several different speakers in my Gemini and finally settled on an Altec 418 but a Altec 417 might be just what your looking for. The Altec brought my Ampeg to life!
    I am seriously wanting a Maverick to try in my new, old Vibrolux.
    Thanks john

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    Mike Eskimo likes this.
  10. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

I had a 64 Reverberocket for a while. The speaker I wound up going with (after trying several) was a pull from a first generation Blues Jr, which I think was the equivalent to the Legend 1258. I found the amp to be too dark and kinda lifeless, and that speaker helped quite a bit.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  11. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

I had one of those and loved it. It came with a UK made V30 16 ohm. I changed it o an 8 ohm Eminence GB128. The Eminence was great in that amp.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  12. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

13. Vermoulian

Vermoulian Tele-Meister

I recently replaced the dying C12Q in mine with an Eminence Cannabis Rex. Sounds great, and plenty of high-end definition, although that is a pretty efficient speaker so it won't help you tame the volume any.

Daytona.57 likes this.
  14. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I've talked about my experience going from the OEM Jensen C12R to a G12H30 Anniversary in a 62 Reverberocket before. The volume increase almost knocked me over! Ended up putting the C12R back in until I moved out of town.
    Really should yank the Maverick out of my DR and try it in the RR sometime.

15. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

Wasn't Ampeg notorious for using a Baxendall tone stack? Not sure which if not all models used it.

If it does have a baxendall tone stack weird tone knob settings are fairly common and they don't react like a typical Fender tone stack. They take a little more tweaking. But it doesn't make a difference if the amp just sounds dark. But there are some people who get hung up on what number the knob is pointed at too.

Speaker recommendations are tricky and I have nothing to recommend because I'm not familiar with the amp. My suggestion would be if you like the way your current speaker sounds but just wish it had a little more top end I would look into an eq pedal. You can add a little more top end by raising just the frequency you like.

16. powerwagonjohn

powerwagonjohn Tele-Meister

I would try running the amp with the back of the cab and see what that does for the sound.
    Thanks John

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.