Bridge???????

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by larsongs, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I like the way the lacing matches the maple neck. But even so, I can't get rid of the lacing now anyway. I would have a million holes there.

But obviously, lacing screws up the fit. Unless you're cutting your own templates and account for the lacing, you can't buy pre-cut blanks and tool them with lacing. Just won't fit perfectly.

If I converted to vintage bridge, no problem. But I'm not doing that.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  2. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Gorgeous guitar! Why can't you tell your wife that you bought one with a flower on it to remind you of her, while you hand her a bouquet?

As for the lacing, I have worked leather a little, and it seems the lacing could be creatively cut and glued in place, so that it will fit around the bridge plate. It would still look as though the lacing were complete, but would allow it to sit lower.

3. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I'll keep an eye out for someone who does this kind of work.

4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

True. ‘Best functionality possible’ is why I eventually ended up with a Mastery Tele-Bigsby bridge. They too started using hex rounded head screws, after complaints/requests for them over the Phillips head.

61CBBCDF-6CB2-4400-B89E-80323D152B59.jpeg

5. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I'm not optimistic, but I'm gonna hit HD today and see if they have something like this.

I gotta assume the thread is mostly standard, so I'll pull a saddle from Ira's Treasure Chest of Extra Guitar Crap to match. Otherwise, anyone know the shaft spec on this?

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Ah, good luck, seriously. HD usually lets me down for stuff like this. I like a few ACE hardwares around here, dunno about there. Thread size on US-sized barrels is usually 6-32, 1”, two a little shorter if you don’t like all that ‘hang out’. Not sure about metric screws. Black oxide would actually be cool looking for your set up.

7. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I have an Ace not too far from me, but it's still a little shlep.

I pulled two saddles with different threading, one a Graphtech, the other either a GFS or Squier. If they have both sizes, I'll BUY both sizes. But they'll probably have neither. There's a Fastenall store in Ft. Lauderdale, but I'm not in the mood to drive 25 miles to buy 3 screws.

I cleaned up my Treasure Chest of Crap, with an added bonus:

Last year, I bought cream chicken knobs for my Champion 110, and stained them in coffee. But I lost the damn set screws because I'm not the organized type and I like my Budweiser.

But lo and behold, the height adjustment screws on my extra saddles are the same size, so those are going on later!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    BorderRadio likes this.
  8. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Crap. Marriage:

I totally forgot my wife has a baby shower to go to and I have to drive her. (She doesn't drive, which means she can never leave me unless she takes Uber.)

And I need guitar cleaner, so do I go to SA, GC, or the hardware stores?

I'll probably just wind up at the bar. It's less work.

BorderRadio and bender66 like this.
  9. larsongs

larsongs TDPRI Member

Nice diversions while I'm waiting for my Tele to get back to Sweetwater & have a conversation as to where we go from here.

From what I'm reading, I'm thinking I'll return it & get something else.

I went to NAMM this past Saturday hoping to see some new Tele's. I didn't see hardly any Tele's? That was a drag! I thought I'd come home with a plan. I'm no further along than before I went..

I want lightweight, medium Maple neck, Texas Single Coils or Vintage Noiseless Pickups, Bigsby B5, in a color other than Butterscotch, CAR, Sunburst or feminine Pastel Colors. Something Cool! Preferably a Thinline...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Lars

10. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

You could put together a Partscaster and get exactly what you want. Probably a lot cheaper too. Even if you bought a Fender neck.

11. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

To be honest if it was me I would have gone a very similar route to what you have done, especially if I could buy from Sweetwater since you can choose the weight from their stock.

At this point I would send the guitar back and request they get it in order, or have the correct saddles sent out. The current ones are clearly for a wider string spacing that is why both the a and the b strings are sat on the inner height adjustment screws.

Regarding the fret work no guitar is going to be prefect in this regard out of the factory unless they are a custom guitar or if in the final are up process they use a plek machine.

If you want to avoid Sweetwater after this ordeal I would build a partcaster but it will require some research so you can things done right.

12. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Have them redo it on a new body. At this point, they're going to go over that thing with a fine-tooth comb. They'll also assure those fret edges are okay.

It's going to come back to you perfect. Stick with your original instincts and plan for this model

13. guitfiddles

guitfiddles TDPRI Member

:lol: I hang a new guitar on the wall every now and then and put the one that was hanging in the closet. My wife never notices. She also could care less anyhow.

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Hey, Lars!

What was the eventual outcome. Did Sweetwater just take this comedy routine back and return your money? I hope so. That's maybe the sketchiest thing I've seen Sweetwater do. Yet.

15. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Holic

Dunno if it's been said, but I think the middle saddle is upside down?

16. Solaris moon

Solaris moon Tele-Meister

You didn't really expect MeatSlaughter Sound to use top quality parts - did you? I learned a long time ago that they cut a LOT of corners to save money!

Yeah - so I can EAT IT!!
    I wouldn't either. Why give them something that they could enjoy and give them pleasure?!

17. The Angry Possum

The Angry Possum Tele-Meister

Wow, something's really really wrong. I'd firstly get a 6 saddle bridge. Easoer to work with. Seems like the string alignment is really off bad.

18. The Angry Possum

The Angry Possum Tele-Meister

Lol. I have 5 guitars of 11 that my girlfriend whom lives with me didn't find out yet. I hid them good. In plain view in gig bags.

19. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

About a month ago, I started pulling it out in front of her, and she really didn’t know it was a &1,000 guitar and bought fairly recently, because it was simply a $900 guitar with a $100 leather pickguard.

I haven’t ordered anything online in months since I bought that Thinline, so there were no peripheral deliveries for her to complain about, and I think that helped in my master scheme.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.