1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bridge string spacing question, Jazzmaster vs. Mustang, etc.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by etype, Jun 14, 2019.

1. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

So a majority (of those who discuss it) seem to hate the Jazzmaster bridge, although I know it has its fans too. One common replacement is the Mustang bridge, but the alleged trouble with that is the 2-3/16" string spacing moves the e strings too close to the fretboard edge. So that got me doing some research.

Vintage Tele spacing was 2-3/16", but more recently, 2-1/8" or 2-1/16" have been used. Were the strings closer to the fretboard edges in the 1950s-1960s and this "bug" has now been fixed? I see that Fender is using the Mustang bridges on the American Pro Jazzmasters, so is the strings too close to the edge complaint overblown? I am contemplating building a Jazzmaster partscaster and would like to avoid the Mastery bridge cost if I can.

FYI: The Mastery and Staytrem bridges use 52mm (2-3/64") -- which is almost Gibson-like (Gibson bridges are 2-1/32" spacing).

2. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

I didn't notice the spacing on the American Pro to be a problem and I'm kind of a goober about it. I am unsure if the bridges on them are vintage-spec Mustang bridges or if they are more like a Staytrem bridge (Mustang design but modified spacing).

Have you looked into a Staytrem? Someone might be able to mail you one or you could get a used one if they're still reasonable.

etype likes this.
  3. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I can't seem to find a Staytrem for less than a Mastery now that they don't sell in the USA.

4. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

Wow, that's amazing. I bought one right before they stopped shipping them here and for a bar, collet, and bridge it was still waaaaay less than a Mastery.

5. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

I bought a Squier VM Jazzmaster I decided to change the bridge on. I settled in this one:

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JAMZQDA/?tag=tdpri-20

I liked the deep center groove and the fact that you can adjust each saddles height individually (other Mustang-style bridges I've seen have set saddle heights to match the radius, and I couldn't find a readily available one to match my Squier's 9.5"; either way, it's nice to be able to make minor adjustments string-by-string). I never tried putting the bridge into the Squier's stock thimbles, but the one's that came with the bridge were a snug fit and the hole spacing is a perfect match.

Anyway, I never played the Squier much with the original bridge, but with this new one the string spacing is just fine. The high E is maybe a touch close to the fretboard's edge, but I put that down to differences between individual guitars more than anything. Regardless, it hasn't been a problem.

The other part of the equation is the guitar's set-up, which is always important. But in my (admittedly limited) experience, proper set-up typically takes other guitars from OK to fantastic, but it takes Jazzmasters from non-functioning piles of wood and metal to fantastic. This article lays out Jazzmaster and Jaguar-specific set-up issues pretty well: https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/25516-diy-how-to-set-up-jazzmasters-jaguars

6. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

A USA located Reverb seller has a 9.5" Staytrem for $185 and a seller from the UK wants $250.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.