1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bridge single on a HH tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Krunoslav, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Krunoslav

Krunoslav TDPRI Member

Howdy.
    First of all, thanks for letting me in.
    Second, English is not my mother tongue, so excuse any flaws I might have.
    Getting that out of a way, I recently acquired a Squier FSR seafoam green HH telecaster. Been wanting a tele for ages, but I could not aford one. (To all of those that will say, you have a cheap Squier CV, yes, not even that one). But now I finally got one, in a trade. Since beggars can't be choosers, I took the HH, although I knew I was not going to get a twang I was looking for. So, my question is, is it possible to change the bridge hum to single, just by changing the pickguard and installing a tele single on it? I would hate to do any drilling or cutting cause the guitar is absolutely beautiful. I would also like to keep the existing bridge. Figured this will be a great place to ask.
    Can someone give me some insight?
    P.S.
    To those who will say, we just buy a SS tele, read the bold part.
    P.P.S.
    To those who will say, yes, but you will not get the wanted twang, read second bold part.
    ;)

2. unfamous

unfamous Tele-Meister

Yes. DiMarzio Twang King recommended. Not sure what bridge changes are required, body mount the pickup if it saves trouble and/or money, adjust pickup heights, change capacitors in the tone circuit if you think it will help. Then play the ****e out of it!!!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  3. Krunoslav

Krunoslav TDPRI Member

So I just buy a new pickguard and a single coil? No need to drill anything or change the bridge? Twang king is kinda outa my league. I was thinkig sometnih cheaper. A used texmex maybe. Ocasionally one appears on craigslist. (Mind you, I am from Europe).

4. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

I don't think the pickguard will have anything to do with the bridge pickup. If I am looking at a model like yours the bridge humbucker is in its own humbucker mounting ring that is bolted to the wood.

Do you have a pic of yours?

ragamuffin likes this.
  5. Krunoslav

Krunoslav TDPRI Member

Not on my comp, but if you google :)
    Squier classic-vibe-70s-telecaster-deluxe-seafoam-sparkle, there will be a plethora of pics.
    You can check it there. It has no mounting ring. It is bolted to the pickguard.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  6. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

You could do a couple of things:
    1. You could remove the bridge pickup and the bridge itself and try to replace it with a traditional Tele bridge that has space for the single coil in the plate, or
    2. You could removed the bridge humbucker and have a small plate or pickguard made with space for the single coil - leaving the bridge intact.
    I don't think I would expand the pickguard; I would use a metal plate if you want to leave the bridge intact - part of the traditional Tele spec is to have the bridge pickup mounted on a metal plate instead of a plastic plate; on the other hand Prince got a unique tone from his Mad Cat/Hohners and their bridge pickup was mounted in a plastic plate.

7. Krunoslav

Krunoslav TDPRI Member

No 2 is what I am looking for. That is the easiest and cheapest solution, if it could be done.

8. Krunoslav

Krunoslav TDPRI Member

Blues Twanger, I replied, but the post wont go through. So, once more; tr to google
    Squier classic-vibe-70s-telecaster-deluxe-seafoam-sparkle, there will be a plethora of pics.
    You can check it there. It has no mounting ring. It is bolted to the pickguard.

9. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

That's gonna require some creativity. Will one of those HB/single coil adapter rings work?
    upload_2021-1-21_8-1-4.png
    Is it me or are those traditional HB size/non WRHB dimension? I have a set of those.

10. Krunoslav

Krunoslav TDPRI Member

Dunno. They are (presumably) copies of wide range hums made in the 70s. Although they do not sound nothing like them. I do not want mounting ring, those things are ugly as hell. If possible, I would only want a new pickguard with a hole for a tele single an that is it.

11. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not a fan of those adapter rings either, but just as ugly as hell is a big pickguard with a single coil poking through on a tele. Pick your poison.

Ebay China would be your best bet. I've seen unrouted pickguards on there.

12. Krunoslav

Krunoslav TDPRI Member

Šljivovica, if I must pick one. ;)
    I see your point. Drat. Looks like I am really have to get some money on a side and get me a regular SS classic vibe.

13. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

Ah, so its a Deluxe and not what they usually call an HH, at least over here.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acc...8ZNyvTGuZ3UEVHzXDRrswmHcbVn58TNBoC9iIQAvD_BwE

A plate like this would work, but won't look good at all.

There are pickup makers, both boutique and generic, that make single coil under chrome humbucker cover pickups. That would look better and also be reversible should you ever want to sell or trade this one away.

14. Krunoslav

Krunoslav TDPRI Member

Something screams, not cheap here. :)

15. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

A couple of options as noted...

A 'conversion plate' to put a single coil in a humbucker slot. Here I have a reverse angle (Hendrix) single bridge pickup in a HSS Strat.

You can use 'single coils' like the Les Paul single cut shown here, a P90 bridge pickup and a Dynasonic style neck pickup, both designed in a humbucker chassis.
    [​IMG]

This is my Tele ... it started as an HH model. No it's an Esquire-H with a 4-way switch so I can get 'neck'/parallel/'bridge'/humbucker.
    The pickup is lowered and the screw poles are raised to get more tone separation between all the modes. The single 'bridge' coil gives me plenty of Twang!. It's a 16kohm 4-wire humbucker that splits to 8kohm bobbins. Tele bridge pickups are generally around 7kohms. The traditional Tele 'neck' pickup tone is achieved with the neck side bobbin and a little tone knob roll-back.
    Also I use the Bill Kirchen control plate layout on my Teles.
    [​IMG]

16. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Holic

old wrench likes this.
  17. Krunoslav

Krunoslav TDPRI Member

18. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

You could go with the adapter ring ^^^ probably the cheapest option.

Or get a new pickguard, which you might have to modify to take the single coil in the bridge position.

The humbucker route in the body is probably large enough to fit the single coil.

I'm not familiar with the WRHB pickup, but the combination of single coil bridge and WRHB neck should give you some nice tonal options.

I don't question your desire to change pickups, but I've got an HH Tele I built myself, and it's one of my favorite sounding guitars ever :).

19. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Sorry; I missed the post about your model being the 70s Deluxe style and I was thinking it was the one like the Player HH Tele (regular control plate, etc.).

Then definitely you'll need the adapter plate for that one.

20. Krunoslav

Krunoslav TDPRI Member

Yes, it is nice sounding. Mind you, I am a super strat type of a guy, since I play mainly rock. I have an Ibanez JEM 555 (of course ;)) but I always had a sweet spot for country music. I just love the twang. It all started decades ago, when I first heard Albert Lee and country boy. It took me a week to get my jaw back in place. I love that sound. Best thing would be to get a used ss tele, I know. But...

old wrench likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.