Bridge replacement Tele Aria pro 2 backaroo

Bilbo15

TDPRI Member
Aria Pro did everything different. Probably nothing will fit. I had an Aria Strat, the saddles and bridge were narower than other Strats. Nothing Fender made fitted. Well the tuners but that's about it.
Well I would understand to redrill the 3 or 4 holes to fix the bridge but I don't want to do something more difficult than that...

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
I ran into this on an Asian Tele before. If the string thru holes line up then just drill out and plug the original bridge mount holes (walnut or maple dowels work great for this) then drill new holes. Other option is to find an "import pattern" bridge. I believe that some Squier bridges are this pattern, but none of the Fender US (or MIM) pattern stuff will fit. Just dowel and drill and go with the bridge you want. If you don't have a drill press this shouldn't be an expensive fix for an independent repair tech to do.

This is what I did on my SX Tele copy to fit a replacement bridge. The yellow marker I used to sort of hide the dowel holes has almost worn off now.

20220523_104425.jpg

yegbert

Poster Extraordinaire
Thanks, those are good annotated pics! And now would you show the fitment issue with the new bridge, placing it side of the old bridge where it needs to be?

Bilbo15

TDPRI Member
IMG_20220524_182421.jpg
IMG_20220524_181842.jpg

So, on the side by side pic, I tried to align the STB holes of the 2 bridges. We see that the chrome one is a bit bigger front and back

On the other pic, I put the chrome bridge on the 6 STB. It seems that it s good spacing between them because I managed to put E low and E high. But again, the bridge goes like 2mm on the Pickgard

yegbert

Poster Extraordinaire
Aria must have used parts that varied slightly from Fender specs. The bridgeplate is apparently shorter on both ends.

If you haven’t already, I’d suggest taking off the pickguard and seeing the American Standard bridgeplate places the pickup reasonably well in the pickup routed hole.

If that fits…

Do you have a Fender spec pickguard? If so you could try that to see if it’s short enough, or “ride bareback”.

Or trim the pickguard a little to fit.

If you like it enough, appreciate it as an Aria-unique Tele copy, odd size components and all. If you don’t care for it that much, try to sell it. Someone else out there might love it for it’s uniqueness. :)

Bilbo15

TDPRI Member

yegbert

Poster Extraordinaire
That Fender American Professional bridge would be an interesting one to try, though a bit expensive; and a bit of a surprise move for you, coming from a thick flat 6-saddle bridge. A quick check shows it available on eBay for $65 USD. Have you ever tried a Tele with a vintage style 3-saddle bridge similar to that?

Bilbo15

TDPRI Member
No, never tried vintage style bridge.

I tried to mail Fender to have the specs of this bridge. That s crazy not to find any drawing on internet!

yegbert

Poster Extraordinaire
No, never tried vintage style bridge.

I tried to mail Fender to have the specs of this bridge. That s crazy not to find any drawing on internet!
I can only guess that Fender is too protective of their technical knowledge to do that. I have submitted a web page based inquiry on the matter with Fender. I’ll let you know if I hear anything back. :)

yegbert

Poster Extraordinaire
I can only guess that Fender is too protective of their technical knowledge to do that. I have submitted a web page based inquiry on the matter with Fender. I’ll let you know if I hear anything back. :)
Fender responded to my request, affirming my theory that the STB holes are the same on the Pro II as they were on the American Standard, and provided detailed technical drawings of the bodies and bridges of both models. I couldn’t easily get those drawing into this post here, but if interested in the details let me know.

yegbert

Poster Extraordinaire
Here are the drawings (they are also in the Media Gallery under “newer telecasters”):

6C28D67A-30FA-4BA8-B116-7878558F31C7.png E5ECC3B4-6F11-4324-B41F-07C02A47689A.png 2A7ACA14-1CDF-42D5-9113-4CD701331BD7.png 9ADFED48-9CC8-4F86-AEBF-392CEE7CEB8B.png

Last edited: