1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bridge position LP

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Laren, Aug 23, 2020.

1. TenaciousP

TenaciousP Tele-Holic

So are you wanting to use a wrap around tailpiece/bridge on you build like the DC junior pic you posted? Or are you wanting a tune-o-matic bridge with separate stop tailpiece?

2. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

3. Laren

Laren Tele-Meister

Just the wrap around bridge. Sorry for any confusion.

4. TenaciousP

TenaciousP Tele-Holic

I don’t really have a good answer for how to position the bridge on your guitar. However, I have noticed that all of the vintage LP Juniors had a huge offset to the posts. And I don’t think they intonate very well. Perhaps they were ok with the old style 4 wound + 2 plain string sets. But I have heard with modern 3 W + 3 P strings, the treble side ends up being adjusted pretty far back. Almost to the point that it looks like it’s going to come off the post. I thing a fair number of players now days seem to switch to some sort of compensated tail piece like the one from MojoAxe (no affiliation) or some sort of wrap around with adjustable saddles on the old Juniors. Anyhow, I look forward to seeing what you come up with for the angle. I am currently in the process of drawing some plans based on measurements and tracings I took from a 1956 SC LP junior. It had the extremely angled bridge. I’ve been debating on whether or not I should change the bridge to a lesser angle to allow for better intonation with modern string sets.

5. mew122

mew122 TDPRI Member

I'm currently building a LP Jr DC. Check out this document over at mylespaul forum.

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/les-paul-junior-pdf.212273/

It will show you how to properly locate the bridge (among other things). Extremely helpful document with every single detail you will need to build one. There are different types of wrap around bridges available and they all require different methods to determine proper location. Read it carefully measure multiple times before finally drilling. And only do it after you've glued the neck.

Laren and D'tar like this.
  6. Laren

Laren Tele-Meister

That looks great thanks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.