1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bridge plate question (hwy1 with a story)

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by matt117, Mar 5, 2021.

1. matt117

matt117 Tele-Holic

Hey,

So years ago I bought a 2009 highway one tele that was used.
    Unfortunately the previous owner was tired of the lack of intonation, and took it to L&M.
    Now I suppose L and M did not know better (compensated saddles!!) , or wanted to make more money.
    So they routed out the pickup route further back and put on an American standard bridge.

I went ahead, back in the day and ordered a pat pend plate, and some saddles from Marc Rutter. I'm fine with the look of half the 3 AS bridge screw holes showing and its happily "my guitar".

I've been finding lately that I really wish I had a bit more girth to the sound. I already have a Voodoo te60 in the bridge (8k ohm) so we're beefy there.

I've been going through lots of past threads, though from many years ago. Is the consensus still that the highway one "FENDER" bridge is a better alternative to the pat pend bridge? And would add back a bit more low mids?

Other honorable mentions have always been callaham and glendale.

I am thinking just to go with the highway one plate, which my highway one would have had at one point.
    What path do you recommend?

How about the known experts?
    @KevinB
    @boris bubbanov

2. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I don’t think you’ll really know until you try the H1 bridge. They’re not that expensive and sourcing one shouldn’t be too difficult.

You might also consider the Kluson Tele bridge. It’s a bit heavier than a Pat Pend plate. I have one on an Esquire I put together (with a Lindy Fralin vintage pickup) and I’m happy with it.

Kluson also makes a vintage style Tele bridge that bolts up to American Std holes and spec but I’ve never tried one.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    matt117 likes this.
  3. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Having some GAS, are we?

4. matt117

matt117 Tele-Holic

Ordered a hwy1 plate so we’ll see how that goes!

Yes sir.

5. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Good! Let us know how it goes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.