Bridge plate microphonic!

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Flyboy, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Flyboy

Flyboy Tele-Meister

Put some new pups in my Squier affinity telw and the rear plate is noisy when I tap it. Like, really noisy!

Getting nothing out of the middle selector on the switch either.

Help!

2. NothingGoatboat

NothingGoatboat Tele-Meister

Ground issue. Maybe you wired the ground to the wrong spot instead of the pickup leads? Take a pic and share it if you can. good luck!

3. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

you sure it's the plate and not the pickup? maybe try swapping the old pickup back in first

4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Over tightening thew screws that hold the plate on the body will make this worse, because it can actually lift the front of the plate off the body, so it can vibrate.
    Try loosening the screws and tuning it up again, and if the front of the plate is still elevated enough to slip paper under it, you might take the plate off and put a piece of masking tape on the plate behind the screws, to raise the back and press the front down.

knockeduptele likes this.
  5. Flyboy

Flyboy Tele-Meister

There's the small ground wire and it's making contact with the bridge plate.

Pix of circuit to follow once I wire it up again. Also, have lost middle position!

6. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

chances are it's the pickup... especially if it's higher output. the affinity plates are thick and not very prone to vibrations. tap the pickup with a pick... if you're getting a loud noise, it's probably the culprit. you can isolate it better from body noises with rubber tubes and foam in the cavity to cushion it a bit

Attached Files:

7. Flyboy

Flyboy Tele-Meister

I was running it through a Pignose in my loft and perhaps the high gain on that had something to do with it. The pups are new. Have foamed the underside but forgot the tubing; doubt I need it now.

Right, so I somehow fkd the selector, God knows how. Put a new one in and all good. Then, mounting the plate and the audio come on with volume OFF!! Gotta be a grounding issue.

8. Flyboy

Flyboy Tele-Meister

Took me an age but let me share what happened re the ground issues.

Swapped out the old electrics and fitted solid shaft pots. Seating the plate brought the signal live, even when turned off. I redid some ground wiring and then.....and then I spotted a star ground on a raised section of the cavity. Now, removing the star ground did nothing so I slapped a bit of leccy tape on it and voila! No signal bleed when volume off.

9. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Some have an actual separate ground wire that attaches on the plate. Does yours? Is it connected?

Flyboy likes this.
  10. Flyboy

Flyboy Tele-Meister

Yeh, it's there and connected. All sorted now but beware anyone putting large CTS-type pots into an Affinity cavity.

11. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Meister

I had never considered the front plate lifting to be an issue - obvious when you think about it - understand the bottom plate if moving moving to contribute to a tele bride pickup being microphonic

Thanks - you may have just fixed my plankcaster issue - the body is uneven and the plate doesn't sit tight at the front

telemnemonics likes this.
  12. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

Make sure that the plate on the bottom of the bridge pick-up hasn't worked lose.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.