Bridge plate effect on tone?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by klasher, Nov 18, 2015.

1. klasher

klasher Tele-Holic

When it comes to vintage bridge plates, I've heard it said that the type of saddles (brass vs. steel vs. titanium) have a bigger impact on tone than the type of bridge plate. Is that true?

2. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

To me it would be true..

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Saddles probably more than the plate, but a thick plate will also probably sound different from a thin plate.
    Not as different as turning the tone control though...

I am less concerned with brass vs steel saddles than traditional thin vs modern thick bridge plates.
    Thin steel plate with brass or steel saddles works for me, but I don't like the look of the thick plates so have no interest in extensive experimentation like I've done with tone, uh, sorry, body wood.

4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

The plate is said to be part of the reason the Tele bridge pickup sounds the way it does. It effects the magnetic field from the magnet slugs.

5. klasher

klasher Tele-Holic

When you're talking thin vs. think bridge plates, are you referring to the typically thin vintage type bridge plates vs. the thick modern american standard style plates?

6. Stratified

Stratified Tele-Meister

7. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

That's BASEplate. We're talking about BRIDGEplates, not bridge pickup baseplates. The bridge plate is the plate that the saddles are mounted on. :lol:

8. TeleKato

TeleKato Friend of Leo's

My experience is that there is a significant difference between thin (vintage, stamped) plates and thicker ones (Rutters, Gotoh Modern, Armadillo, etc.). I'd say that thick-vs-thin bridges and saddle materials (brass, steel, aluminum, copper, etc.) could be equal in impact. Differences between stock versus boutique stamped bridges (Fender vs. Barden vs. Callahan) are hard for me to discern.

9. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

Which tone do you prefer and why?

10. RockRabbit

RockRabbit Tele-Meister

Seems to me that the saddles do have a bigger impact than a bridge plate, but traditional Tele bridge plates also directly involve the pup, so that's another huge variable.

Cheers,
    Joe

11. klasher

klasher Tele-Holic

why do traditional plates directly involve the pup and am standard style bridges don't?

12. TeleKato

TeleKato Friend of Leo's

I prefer the 'beefier' tone of the more solid bridges. I have Rutters on three guitars, and an Armadillo on two others. I had a AV72RI and swapped out the Fender stamped bridge for a Gotoh Modern -- it added 5oz to the weight of the guitar, but it was worth it. On some guitars (body/neck/pickups) combos, it just sounds better to my ear -- more sustain, deeper sound. I am cautious about using the word 'tone' having once seen Fezz Parka's *****-slap video about using the TONE knob (ya knob!) ...

That's not to say I'm purist. Again, it depends upon the guitar. I enjoy the sound of the Fender stamped bridge (Fender PatPending) on other of my guitars. I've come around to liking steel saddles on those; more twang to my ear. Plus the threaded ones keep the strings well in place.

13. TeleKato

TeleKato Friend of Leo's

Oh ... I'll add that it likely also has to do with the pickups. For instance, the guitars with thinner stamped bridges that I like are sporting Budz Purebreds and OCDuff pickups. I've got another with a Bare Knuckles in it, but I'll admit I spend most of my time with that guitar using the BK P-90 in the neck.

14. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Seems to me the thicker bridges have more sustain and can retain more lows/low mids.(giving a fuller perceived tone) The thinner plates seem to be worse at retaining the lower frequencies and are therefore often perceived as brighter or 'twangier'

IMO, this is the same thing I've noticed with Stamped steel saddles on strats, versus those thick modern 'block' type saddles. The thicker metal appears to have more potential for sustain, while the thinner stamped metal is perceived as bright/twangier because of the slight loss of low end reproduction with the thinner material. Just my $.02

15. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

Cool thanks!

16. klasher

klasher Tele-Holic

Just to make sure I understand, when you refer to the Gotoh Modern, is that an American Standard style bridge plate? With the six individual saddles? Not like the vintage style with the three barrel saddles and the raised up edges, correct?

17. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Meister

I like the "beefier" bridges as well. Turn down the tone, you can get near Les Paul tone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.