Bridge Placement Conflict

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by WaylonGuitars, Sep 18, 2019.

1. WaylonGuitars

WaylonGuitars TDPRI Member

I am trying to get a straight answer on where to position a bridge in relation to scale length. Some say to adjust the high E saddle all the way forward and center that over the scale line marked on the body. Others say to adjust the saddles to the middle of the bridge and place that over the center of the scale line. Which is it? Or is it neither?

I am building a PRS style guitar (25" scale) with a Schaller Signum wraparound bridge. Because the saddles are adjustable, I assume I don't have to adjust the low E bridge post 3 degrees and can keep the bridge perpendicular to the body center line. However, where do I place it in relation to the scale line? Where are the saddles positioned when I lay this out?

Is it true with any scale, that ALL strings will be longer than the actual scale length when intonated properly? (i.e. on 25" scale, the high E, which is closest to the nut, is actually more than 25" from the nut?) If that's the case, then if I set the saddles in the middle and laid that out on the 25" mark, I'll likely not get the proper length on the low E. If saddles are all the way forward when laid out on scale line, then the high E string has no play going forward (but if it's longer than 25", then that's a moot point).

Just looking for some good advice or links to other good discussions about this. I have made a guitar before where the low E will never be in tune because the bridge is a few 1/10's of an inch too close to the nut, and that was laid out using the saddles in their forward-most position. To fix, I will have to plug holes and start over.

2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Personally, I would look at similar guitars and the location of each string's bridge segment. Then pick a middle ground so you have adjustment both ways. Even if you have to angle it. Many seem to be something like this: (I had to put the dots in there for it to stay as typed)

l
    .l
    ..l
    .l
    ..l
    ..l

3. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

If you don't get a good answer by this afternoon, I'll measure my PRS for you.

WaylonGuitars likes this.
  4. WaylonGuitars

WaylonGuitars TDPRI Member

Good news is not only can I adjust the saddles forward or back, the bridge has set screws to angle the bass side back if needed. I think just finding some sort of middle ground will work out, as this bridge seems to have quite a bit of adjustment to compensate for an imperfect positioning. That said, the closer I get to perfect, the better!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.