Bridge placement a little off

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by TwoBear, Oct 16, 2021.

Tags:
  1. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Afflicted

I’m pretty comfortable with this gauge of string-10-46. My high E string bridge saddle is adjusted as far forward as it will go, set as it is. Problem is intonation is just a touch off, it’s-flat, and needs to push forward just a bit. Is my only recourse to change all the saddles after rotating the Bridge 180* (I don’t have a degree symbol) As I’m getting older and the hands aren’t what they used to be, I’m not totally adverse to putting a .009 on there, if it would help or would that cause me to need to move it even sharper? image.jpg

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah, it's a lot of work, but you should be able to rotate the saddle-bar, but you'll also have to change every saddle, cause of their string slots. Give it a try, it "might" work. ;)

TwoBear likes this.
  3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

If you flip the bridge end for end you will gain some forward travel on the high E saddle. You won't have to do anything with the saddles other than reset the intonation. It is quite common to have the adjusting screws pointing back.

nojazzhere and TwoBear like this.
  4. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

You can see from the three plain strings you have on there that the thinner the string, the closer to the nut the saddle has to be. So going from 10 to 9 probably won't help, but would instead be more problematic.

TwoBear likes this.
  5. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

The amount that a string needs to be compensated is a function of its core diameter, unit mass, scale length and action - knowing all those things it can actually be calculated. A smaller string will require less compensation so that would move the saddle even farther forward.

For the OP, have you actually measured the scale length and compared to where the break point on the saddle is? A plain 10 should not require much compensation. Also, is it just the picture or are those pretty cruddy strings? A new set might improve your intonation a lot. Last thought, setting the action as low as possible helps as does fretting as gently as you can.

TwoBear and nojazzhere like this.
  6. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Afflicted

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  7. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Afflicted

Yes, isn’t your first paragraph just restating what WalthamMoosical said? I’m not being ‘snarky’ i’m just wondering if I missed something.

As to the height I’m pretty satisfied with where it is and a super low action wouldn’t be my comfort zone on this particular guitar.

yes the strings appear worse in the picture than they are in reality, Probably due to the music room being very dark, and the light is being filtered through a tree outside, but I’ve got plenty of strings and slapping on a new set is not a problem. It just needs to move forward that tiny amount and it would be fine. I think I’m leaning towards getting out my magnifying visor and Jewelers loop and removing a couple threads from the inside of the saddle to allow it to pass over the unthreaded part of the screw. When the saddle butts up to the shank on the screw no one will be the wiser, and it’ll buy me that tiny room that I need. But first I’m curious to check out the new string and see how my intonation changes, I remember long ago Larry Carlton mentioning he didn’t have to intonate, or as much with some particular New brand of string he was on. I put it down to salesmanship but He’s Mr. 335 and I’m just plain Larry.

8. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Tele-Meister

I would try and flip the bridge around.

TwoBear and Paul G. like this.
  9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I think of that as bridge installed half ass backwards!

TwoBear likes this.
  10. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Just rotate the bridge, you'll get enough adjustment. In general, the ABR-1 screws face the pickup, the Nashville bridge screws face the tailpiece, but there's no reason not to flip the ABR-1 if it works better that way.

Looking at the photo, it looks like the bridge was on that way once, because your high string saddle slots are huge, and the low string slots look pretty tight.

TwoBear likes this.
  11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Is it an optical illusion or is the bridge at less of an angle than usual?
    What brand and model guitar?

TwoBear likes this.
  12. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Afflicted

image.jpg
    Yeah I see how it looks that way but when I’m here looking at it they appear to be stock and I think they were all the same and the low strings look like they just “ ground themselves“ down or rather filed their own slots. The room came with dark red walls and the lighting is just mellow as can be, and that’s why the little strings look like they’re black back in between the tailpiece and bridge, But when viewed with my eyes they are still silver and are actually newer than the bass side, also evidenced by me by the fact that they weren’t cut off as the bass strings were. Yeah, The big part of my query was aimed at not having to flip the bridge and change all the saddles and intonate again.
    image.jpg

13. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Afflicted

image.jpg image.jpg
    it’s definitely kicked forward on the high side but yeah it’s not a ton. I have a about 78 reborn model that I could pull out and compare but really I guess what will that do, each guitar is it’s own little entity. This love rock I’m not sure of the age, guessing 2000 and up.
    I rethought it and figured I would alter the saddle to fit over that last unthreaded part of the bridge saddle screw, but I have re-rethought that ha ha, as the weather and location precludes me from being comfortable working in the garage as the mosquitoes are a problem again after about a year or two of semi peace. I’ll just suck it up and rotate it and change all the saddles, as that is something I can do in the house, especially as my gal is away, taking care of her sister. Haul in a card table while I watch something stupid on the computer… hopefully not my reflection…Aaaahhhaaaha.
    image.jpg

telemnemonics likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.