1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bridge pin size for an Epiphone DR-100

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Marn99, May 9, 2020.

1. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Holic

I would like to replace the cheap plastic pins on my 2019 Epiphone DR-100 with bone, but I keep finding conflicting information on the web. Does anyone know the right pin size for this guitar?

2. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

pretty much "pins is pins"
    (slot notwithstanding)

and fossilized mastedon tusk gonna hold that string in place about the same as "bell brass" or graphtech or poodle bone or poly-styrene.

Any techs got better news?

Peace - Deeve

3. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Holic

I'm not necessarily concerned about materials, I'd like to switch to bone or maybe even ebony primarily for aesthetics, but rather I'd like to know the dimensions, taper, etc. so that it fits my instrument and seats in the bridge pin holes nicely.

4. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

According to Bob Colosi's site (which is generally pretty accurate), Epiphone use a variety of sizes, you really need to pull one and measure it

http://www.guitarsaddles.com/products.asp

And while "pins is pins", there are very different sizes, very different tapers, some are slotted and some are not, and of course there is the whole material debate...

Marn99 likes this.
  5. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Marn, I make it a point to fit the pins to any guitar I make or work on. I prefer bone, either slotted or unslotted as required (on slotted pins I like to open the slot on at least the 6th and often the 5th string pins and mark them with a magic marke). My standard taper is 5 degrees, however lots of guitar use 3. I like them to seat so the heads are just a few thousand proud of the bridge. For personal reasons I won't touch any sort of ivory. And years ago I conducted a blind recording/listening test with a bunch of different pins in the same guitars, it was only brass that I (thought) I could tell a difference, and I didn't care for it.

Use Colosi's chart or have a good builder fit them to your guitar.

As an aside, many Martins come from the factory with tapered pins in untapered holes. They stand proud and don't seat nicely. When I work on them I just lightly ream the holes and they drop down where they belong. Can't say if this is true for your Epi.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.