Bridge pin hole reaming question

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by DrPepper, Jul 12, 2020.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

How many turns (revolutions) of the reamer to go 1/8" deeper? On average.I understand that there will be variations.... But is it like a half a turn or ten turns?

2. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

Too many variations to be informative.
    Put the reamer in the hole with very little pressure on it.
    Turn very slowly until get the desired depth.
    The sharpness of the reamer and the hardness of the wood are what will determine how fast it will cut. Just go slow until you get a feel for it.
    Good luck,

LAPlayer likes this.
  3. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

3. 75 turns depending on wood composition...

More or less ... depending ...

4. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I just eyeball it usually...

5. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

for those without a reamer... find a pair of scissors that match the peg taper and spin that in the string holes........;)

not for the purists....works for me...:)

scissors reamer.jpg

6. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky TDPRI Member

Why not put the reamer in the hole to where it stops. Then mark 1/8” higher up on the reamer with a marker or paint pen. Then simply ream to the mark.

Buckocaster51 likes this.
  7. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

I use a five degree tapered reamer which matches my pins. I drill the pin holes at 3/16 and trial fit the pin. Then I ream the first hole gradually, a gentle turn at a time, until the pin sits as far down in the hole as I want it. Remember that you DO NOT want the pin wedged in the hole. I put a piece of tape on the reamer at that point and do the rest. The depth of the cut will depend completely on how much pressure you are applying to the tool (just like any other hand tool use)

I've done so many of these that the tape just stays on the reamer but I check each time I do it.

IMG_5218.JPG

monkeybanana likes this.
  8. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Afflicted

If you're re-using old pins, they're not always uniform, either. The ball-ends chew up the channels, etc.
    Get "close" on the initial reaming, and then go SLOOOOW.

9. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Tele-Meister

I mark my pins so I know which hole they fit best in.

NashvilleDeluxe and boredguy6060 like this.
  10. Freeman Keller

I will add another comment. I will ream pin holes under one of three conditions

- its a new guitar that I just built and thats just part what I do. Fit the pins to the guitar
    - unfortunately I do a lot of bridge reglues. With the caul I use glue squeezes out into the pin holes and then need to be cleaned out. Drill to 3/16 and ream to fit the pins that came with the guitar
    - on a few guitars where the pins stand excessively proud of the counter sunk area I will lightly ream them to get a slightly lower fit. Some Martins fit this.

I will not ream holes on new guitars or any guitar where the pins seem to fit fine. I always look inside the guitar at the bridge plate every time I restring to make sure the balls are snug against the plate and the pins are seated nicely.

11. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

It completely depends on how hard you press, how sharp the tool is, and what kind of wood you're cutting.
    Personally, I would be gentle and make fewer, less forceful turns, until you have what you want.

DrPepper likes this.
  12. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Thanks guys... I am going to do this to my new guitar. The pins I put in it stand tall by around an eighth of an inch, I want to sink them a tad so that the follow the radius of the strings and not sit so tall.

13. Freeman Keller

Don't go too far. You can really muck things up if you get them too loose. According to Bob Colosi, a newer model Yamaha will have three degree pins with 0.203 inch under skirt diameter but of course you should confirm.

Note that 0.203 is smaller diameter than many pins, if it happens to have something larger in diameter they will stand proud.

14. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Ultimately what matters is how well the pins fit; they do not care what the hole diameter is.

Place the reamer in and gently give it a single twist. Remove it and drop a pin in to test the fit. There's no reason to hurry unless your shop is on fire.

Lather, rinse repeat.

DrPepper likes this.
  15. Freeman Keller

^^^^ My point was very simply it is possible that the holes were correctly reamed but the wrong pins installed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.