Bridge pickup swap...middle position out of phase!

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
I just changed out the Custom Shop Texas Special in this Tele for a Bootstrap Palo Duro. I followed the same wiring the existing pickup used -- black wire to the volume pot, white wire to the control plate. The middle position is out of phase and sounds awful.The neck pickup on this guitar has three wires coming out of it, not the usual two.

Read through some previous threads here about this situation and tried reversing the leads from the bridge pickup--white wire to the volume pot, black one to the control plate. It sounds even worse! Out of phase and terrible hum.

What am I doing wrong here? Hoping someone can explain in language even a wiring idiot like me will understand.

This is what it looked like with the black wire to the volume pot.

Oh, yeah, ignore the "Text" word on the tone pot, that was a screw up.

1stwiring.jpg

Bootstrap

Tele-Meister
I may be able to help. First, did you put in an entire Palo Duro set or just a bridge?

Bootstrap

Tele-Meister
Gotcha! That's totally okay but our magnet polarities are typically the opposite of Fender's. Switching the wires could help with the phase issue, but you'll run into two problems: The first is that the baseplate is grounded with the same wire as the coil, so switching the wiring is going to cause noise/ground issues unless you cut the wire to the baseplate and wire a separate baseplate ground wire; the second is that even if you get the pickups in phase, you may not have noise canceling in the middle position. It would probably be best to just swap that bridge pickup out for a South Up Palo Duro with a separate baseplate ground. Our exchanges are free including shipping. We have a 9:00 PM UPS drop off scheduled for this evening, if you could send me your order number via private message in the next hour or two I can try to get a replacement wound for you and dropped off in that UPS collection. Or we can ship in our USPS collection tomorrow.

Edit:
If you would prefer to try getting that current pickup to work, you may want to try keeping the yellow wire on the neck pickup wired to ground, and swapping the black and white wiring from the neck pickup. In this case, please wire the bridge black wire as ground and white to switch. That may work, but you may have a lot of noise in the middle position.

Last edited:

Deaf Eddie

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
The three-lead neck pickup should be easy for you to reverse the phase and solve your problem.

FIRST, reinstall the Bootstrap bridge pickup as instructed by the manufacture.

NEXT, TWO of the neck pickup's leads will be soldered to ground. Unsolder these leads,and use your meter to determine which of the two leads is the coil's negative, and which is the ground for the neck pickup's metal cover. Solder the ground for the cover back where it was (usually the back of the pot) and swap the pickup's negative and hot leads, putting the negative on the selector switch and moving the "hot" to ground.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Gotcha! That's totally okay but our magnet polarities are typically the opposite of Fender's. Switching the wires could help with the phase issue, but you'll run into two problems: The first is that the baseplate is grounded with the same wire as the coil, so switching the wiring is going to cause noise/ground issues unless you cut the wire to the baseplate and wire a separate baseplate ground wire; the second is that even if you get the pickups in phase, you may not have noise canceling in the middle position. It would probably be best to just swap that bridge pickup out for a South Up Palo Duro with a separate baseplate ground. Our exchanges are free including shipping. We have a 9:00 PM UPS drop off scheduled for this evening, if you could send me your order number via private message in the next hour or two I can try to get a replacement wound for you and dropped off in that UPS collection. Or we can ship in our USPS collection tomorrow.

Edit:
If you would prefer to try getting that current pickup to work, you may want to try keeping the yellow wire on the neck pickup wired to ground, and swapping the black and white wiring from the neck pickup. In this case, please wire the bridge black wire as ground and white to switch. That may work, but you may have a lot of noise in the middle position.
Now that's good service! Wow!