1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bridge pickup not working when ground touches backplate

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by SnoLo, Nov 30, 2020.

1. SnoLo

SnoLo TDPRI Member

Hi everyone,

I am currently installing a new bridge pickup to my Schecter PT (T-style guitar). Had no issues with previous pickups (duncan designed pickups that look like the EMG active pickups, but these are passive).

Im installing a Pearly gate bridge pickup (the one that looks like one solid metal humbucker). The pickup seems to work fine when the backplate doesnt touch the ground (?) wire - i test this by using a screwdriver to touch the pickup. When I touch the backplate with my hands there is a buzz. But when the backplate touches the ground wire that sticks through a hole underneath the backplate the buzz goes away, however the pickup also goes silent.

What do I need to do to fix this? any help appreciated

2. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

It sounds to me like your pickup's hot wire is connected to ground and vice versa. Reverse them and see what happens.

LutherBurger, Wulf and SnoLo like this.
  3. SnoLo

SnoLo TDPRI Member

That fixed it! Thank you! I assumed the black wire was ground

DougM and Wulf like this.
  4. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

often is..but not always...at least youve been well advised...was coming to offer assistance...but youve had some good already

SnoLo likes this.
  5. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Looking at the SD color code for their HB pickups, red and white are tied together (unless you want coil splitting), green and bare are ground, and black is hot.

LutherBurger likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.