Bridge Pickup Issue

SkipBurz

TDPRI Member
I have an MIM Custom Telecaster with a bridge pickup that is intermittently cutting out and staying out. I thought it was a bad switch or solder joint. So I unsoldered both wires and connected them directly to the o/p jack. No sound. The impedance measure at 2.5 Mohms. (You read that correctly.) Then without doing anything it started measuring at 6.5 kohm and sounded fine. I soldered it back in and it's working fine. However, this is the third time it has stopped working and then began working on its own. I can't make it stop working and when it's out, can't make it start working. What do you think? Is there possibly a problem with the windings of the pup? Thanks much!

dsutton24

Doctor of Teleocity
Yes, you undoubtedly have a broken winding that's making contact sometimes, and sometimes not. You might try reflowing the solder at the eyelets where the pickup leads meet the windings.

SkipBurz

TDPRI Member
Great! That's what I suspected. I wish I could make it cut in and out by tapping the pup. You're right, though, I think it's time to pull it and take a look at those solder joints at the eyelet. Thanks for taking the time to respond.