Bridge pickup is weak after bridge change

808guitar

TDPRI Member
9498A501-D4F4-4DE2-B177-927A94A5A69C.jpeg
1B96F59B-3D92-4A93-9A9A-5888BDF8A4BC.jpeg
Hi, I have a thinline tele deluxe that is giving me some trouble. This is the one with noiseless pickups and a 4 way switch. I bought it used awhile back and previous owner had swapped out the 6 saddle bridge for a 3 saddle bridge.

It worked fine but the intonation sucked, so I swapped back in the original bridge.

Once I did that, my bridge pickup sounds super weak, and there is a grounding issue. The neck pickup sounds fine solo or in parallel position, it is weak in series position.

I have the ground attached to one of the screws holding the bridge pickup to the bridge plate. I don’t remember if this is how it was connected previously but I have a feeling the problem is somehow related to this. I did not change any wiring on the switch or knobs, just unscrewed the bridge and replaced it. Any ideas?

Dan_Pomykalski

Tele-Meister
View attachment 760978 View attachment 760979 Hi, I have a thinline tele deluxe that is giving me some trouble. This is the one with noiseless pickups and a 4 way switch. I bought it used awhile back and previous owner had swapped out the 6 saddle bridge for a 3 saddle bridge.

It worked fine but the intonation sucked, so I swapped back in the original bridge.

Once I did that, my bridge pickup sounds super weak, and there is a grounding issue. The neck pickup sounds fine solo or in parallel position, it is weak in series position.

I have the ground attached to one of the screws holding the bridge pickup to the bridge plate. I don’t remember if this is how it was connected previously but I have a feeling the problem is somehow related to this. I did not change any wiring on the switch or knobs, just unscrewed the bridge and replaced it. Any ideas?
Having the ground wires wired like that wouldn’t cause a problem unless there’s a whisker coming into contact with something it shouldn’t. Do you have a multimeter? I’d start by testing the pickup, then pots, then seeing what kind of readings you get with the meter attached to the jack/cable if the other stuff checks out.

808guitar

TDPRI Member
Having the ground wires wired like that wouldn’t cause a problem unless there’s a whisker coming into contact with something it shouldn’t. Do you have a multimeter? I’d start by testing the pickup, then pots, then seeing what kind of readings you get with the meter attached to the jack/cable if the other stuff checks out.

That will be my test for tomorrow, thanks!

Dan_Pomykalski

Tele-Meister
That will be my test for tomorrow, thanks!
It’s a little hard to tell from the photo, but is that lug making good contact with the bridge? I would maybe sand/file/rough up a small spot near the lug on the bottom of the bridge, then solder a bare wire to the lug. If the lug is making good contact with the screw/bridge, then disregard this entire reply.

808guitar

TDPRI Member
It’s a little hard to tell from the photo, but is that lug making good contact with the bridge? I would maybe sand/file/rough up a small spot near the lug on the bottom of the bridge, then solder a bare wire to the lug. If the lug is making good contact with the screw/bridge, then disregard this entire reply.

I reattached it to make sure it was making a very solid connection. Busted out my multimeter and realized the battery died, and of course it uses some oddball 12v battery I don't have lying around the house. I didn't feel like making a trek into town to get one so it'll need to wait until another day.