1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bridge pickup - full, open, sparkle but no ice pick - does it exist?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by don, Nov 28, 2020.

1. warchol

warchol TDPRI Member

Bill Lawrence noiseless Tele Bridge.
    There are amazing, and get little attention

MatsEriksson likes this.
  2. warchol

warchol TDPRI Member

Inexpensive too!

MatsEriksson likes this.
  3. borducks

borducks TDPRI Member

I was just going to mention the Duncan Jerry Donohue. Best upgrade I’ve ever made to a Tele.

rand z likes this.
  4. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus TDPRI Member

after years ignoring similar suggestions and messing with non-standard tele pickups, i'm going to join the chorus and say: use your tone knob more! ultimately that's all i needed to get good single coil sounds from my "too bright" tele. though it helps to use noiseless pickups, so you can turn up the amp to compensate for the guitar being a little quieter with the tone turned down.

the key for me was playing the tele side by side with a humbucker guitar. i set the amp to sound good with the humbuckers, then switched back and forth between between the guitars until my tone setting and picking position could match the humbuckers as close as possible. i landed on a tele tone knob that lives around 6, and turn it up when i want a little extra cut.

5. misterdontmove

misterdontmove Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

I didn't read the entire thread, so I don't know if this was mentioned. Even if it has, it deserves a second mention. This Fezz Parka mod is the best IMHO. It looks a little like Gibson 50's wiring. I believe he's a member here.

6. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

The Twisted Tele bridge pickup doesn't have the ice pick that my Broadcaster bridge has. It's in a Baja, but I usually deal with the ice pick by surfing for tone with my tone control. This is a custom shop designed Broadcaster pickup.

This is the cheapest option, because tone controls are included with every guitar.

Ebidis likes this.
  7. imtxn

imtxn TDPRI Member

8. imtxn

imtxn TDPRI Member

Proof: the aggregation of minimal gains can result in huge result!!

9. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

The A3 mags and non-hot wind are just right. There's really not a bad tone in either pickup in the '62 set.

I've got the set in my Squier CV 50s Tele and they sound groovy.

don likes this.
  10. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

This should be a perpetual 'sticky' post in the Informational Truth sub-forum that we don't have.

mexicanyella and telemnemonics like this.
  11. Bluesmaster-Ben

Bluesmaster-Ben TDPRI Member

I would suggest perhaps it isn't your guitar that is your problem but rather your amp (or settings on the amp). I actually prefer a darker sounding tube amp because it really brings out a great sound in the bridge pickups especially when looking for some overdrive. For example, I prefer the normal channel on my AC15 and I can stomp my treble booster if I want to get it screaming, but otherwise a regular low gain OD or transparent boost can get some great wooly overdrive/distortion.

12. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

One thing you could look into is the "No load" tone pot also know as Delta wiring from the mid-90's Am. St. Telecasters. Mine does not ice pick when it goes through a good amp.

13. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

I kind of like the Nocasters I put in mine. I run everything wide open into a SRRI and it sounds great. No ice picking unless the amp is to cold. On the other hand I have not tried or had reason to try any of the others you mentioned. Although I will be putting a set of bootstrap Original recipes in my floorcaster...should they ever get here and i manage to get a neck.

madhermit likes this.
  14. pbenn

pbenn Tele-Afflicted

Are they tuned to D in this performance? Might be a factor, too.

15. timbgtr

timbgtr TDPRI Member

There’s lots of interesting advice here, especially if you’re willing to cut wood out of the guitar body. I got a Fralin Vintage Hybrid for a MIM ash body Tele a long time ago and have never wished for anything else in a Telecaster bridge pickup, so I would think it would solve your ice-pick problem for an Esquire build. I’ll confess that I think it a shame to get a Telecaster (or Esquire) and put something other than a Tele-type pickup in the bridge.

16. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I don't understand this. The effect of a no load tone pot is slightly more treble due to the lack of that tiny bit of residual resistance when the pot is a 'zero' resistance.

Does the Delta wiring do something different?

telemnemonics, DHart and nickmsmith like this.
  17. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

I have two favorite Budz bridge pickups, I use both on my guitars. The first is his 10K bridge pickup, clear, articulate and beefy but not muddy and no ice picking. His 6.6k is also very special, no pick o' the ice just twang and body. No ice pick sounds is a design goal of David's.

18. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

Through all the pickups I’ve tried my go to is still the Duncan Jerry Donahue. So nice I bought two.

19. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Higher output pickups do indeed have less treble response, and less likely to icepick. What is icepick anyway? I know it when I hear it. What does it look like on a plot? Is it a specific treble frequency hump? Or a spike within a certain treble frequency range?

20. gba1968

gba1968 TDPRI Member

Hi, I find that a good quality .05uf oil/paper audio tone cap works really well whatever pickup you decide on. Can eliminate any 'razor blades' without killing the sound. Especially on maple neck tele/esquire guitars. Even put one in my Melody Maker as the stock component was cheap rubbish...

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.