Bridge pickup - full, open, sparkle but no ice pick - does it exist?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by don, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Donnie55

Donnie55 Tele-Afflicted

Back the volume on the guitar down from 10 to 9.. You lose the ice pick with out getting muddy. It works and its free..

bicaster, BB, MatsEriksson and 2 others like this.
  2. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

...use your tone control..lower your pickup slightly...call Lindy Fralin for advice.

bicaster and Donnie55 like this.
  3. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Steel baseplate under the Tele bridge pickup, 1/8th inch thick steel. Hand cut from scrap if you need/want to. More meaty output.

'Hendrix'/reverse angle pickup slot. So instead of /===| you have a guitar that looks like \===| and the tone does change. If you have a Tele bridge plate then find a left handed one. You'll need some body routing.

Lower the pickup closer to the body and tip the pickup to give more/less bass/treble.

Swap volume pot for a lower (measured) kohm, they have a 20% tolerance range, tone cap to higher uF value as these both make a pickup darker even when both knobs are 'dimed'.

See how Hendrix has his Strat pickups lower than typical plus tipped to give more bass and less treble output.

MatsEriksson and Telenator like this.
  4. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Broadcaster bridge pickup then.
    Or a Kinman Bridge Blaster.

The Kinman is hot and beefy, and noiseless. Sounds really good. Rockin'.

The Broadcaster is thicker sounding than the what you have now, and Rob DiStefano could set you up with an affordable, similar pickup that will fit your needs. he has a great reputation around here, as does Kinman.

Here's an old Telenator demo featuring the late Charlie Karp on guitar.

Here's a cleaner sounding demo with Charlie.

Here's a raw demo my partner played in the shop through a Peavey Trans Tube solid state practice amp.

MatsEriksson and don like this.
  5. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

Yes of course, take a look at those charts again. Most pickup manufacturers of repute and 3rd parties lists their peak resonance, and you can see on the charts where those are. You may very well find a pickup that does not have its resonant peak at 4.3 Hz, because then there's a built in natural hump at around that "ice-pick" frequency. You could aim for pickups with lower resonant peaks in that case. But remember, in that case it will be so for all strings on all frets along the neck, and may affect all other strings and open strumming in a not so pleasant way, since you still wanted to retain sparkle.

IME experience, falling prey to those vintage correct single coils, claiming a bell like chime and crisp (low to medium output) sparkling notes, more often than not exhibits the "ice pick" too, in spades, when playing up high.

Donnie55 likes this.
  6. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Fender CS Nocaster bridge pickup with A3 slugs

-or-

Cavalier 51/52 with A3 slugs

-or-

Cavalier "Oildale" with A3 slugs

then...

Roll off the tone pot slightly and pick closer to the neck pickup. Done.

don likes this.
  7. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Friend of Leo's

Pickup placement makes a huge difference.

Years ago I moved the lead pickup on one of my Strats a mere quarter inch further from the bridge. The change was astonishing. Fatter, warmer, and even a tad more output - without losing any openness or clarity.

I know relocating the bridge pickup on a Tele/Esquire isn't so simple.
    But if you can rout out the cavity, I bet someone would make you a bridgeplate.

MatsEriksson and DHart like this.
  8. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

Well you have a one pickup guitar. Turn the amp on. Turn the treble all the way down to the point that the amp hiss disappears. Then bump it up until the guitar sounds like it has treble.

bicaster likes this.
  9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Those A3 magnet Tele bridge pickups are certainly worth trying and some players like them so the search ends there.

In my search though I found that solution had a dulled treble and a muted clarity.
    Even with the guitar tone control full up or no tone control at all.

This is the inherent problem with choosing a bridge pickup with built in treble cut:
    You have to want your treble to be cut all day every day.
    Sure I could pick for more brightness but the dulling is not eliminated by sharper picking.

In fact I find it easier to pick for a darker tone with a brighter pickup, than it is to pick for a brighter tone on a darker pickup.

Still worth trying though and among the many choices, the Fender OV is that design with A3 mags and a slightly hotter coil. Inexpensive very good pickup!
    If you seek that particular ice pick killing solution.

10. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Isn’t this why you pick closer to the neck on the high strings and closer to the bridge on the low? I agree with you that good playing technique goes a long way.

bicaster and telemnemonics like this.
  11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Well yeah but that's only one of many approaches for either taming potential ice pick or giving each phrase the tone you want.

I say that because sometimes I keep my RH close to the bridge in faster phrases but still employ one pick technique on the highest strings and another on the lowest strings.
    Muting the tone on the high e while picking close to the bridge is for me using a very light attach with amp volume up, and exposing so little of the pick that my thumb is brushing or resting against the high E when I release it.
    So the attack is literally muted by my thumb or even finger tip, but only on the attack.

While I set my bridge pickup height for equal volume on the low E and high E, it's probably higher volume on the high E if attacked the same, because I pretty much always attach the high E with a touch of muting, as that's just the nature of the high E on a Tele bridge.

I think many players assume that they should not need to treat each string differently?
    That each string is supposed to just have the perfect tone, because: gear?

I've literally tried any and all mechanical and electronic solutions to the problem of the player needing to treat high notes differently from low notes. AFAIK there is no escaping player responsibilities!

But again, picking the high strings closer to the neck gets a nice fatter warmer tone, but it's not the only route to a fatter warmer high E sting.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  12. fretknot

fretknot TDPRI Member

Back off the treble on the tone control,or EQ the amp differently. I prefer to have the full tonal spectrum in my pocket and EQ to taste, but that's my thing. YMMV

Ron C and bicaster like this.
  13. mrfitz98

mrfitz98 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Amp too. Blackface can get ice-picky pretty quick, little harder to do with a tweed.

Greggorios likes this.
  14. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

And realize turning the guitar volume down, also changes the frequency response/interaction with the amp. So simple, so required to manage icepick.

Ron C likes this.
  15. Terrygh1949

Terrygh1949 Tele-Meister

Duncan or Dimarzio you can't go wrong.

16. Lizzard

Lizzard TDPRI Member

The Standard Fralin Vintage is pretty damn close. The Mares are spot-on.

Hayride in mine now, a Hot Bakelite on the way.

but for the money, the Vintage Fralin is right there. And if you want “more” after you try it, he can and will add winds. He won’t take them away so start low and add just what you need to find hour twang/Carlos sweet spot.

John_B and timbgtr like this.
  17. Musicroom98

Musicroom98 TDPRI Member

With pickups, like most players, I want it all. I want my tone to be headturning whether I’m playing clean, crunchy or more overdriven for some leads. A lot of pickups will give you part of that wish list. For me so far, I’ve found the ones below to be the closest for my desired tones. YMMV

Gemini Suprocaster is outstanding! I’ve bought 2 of them over to past couple of years. I would call them a revelation.

Another company that appears to have great sounding tele pickups is Lambertones. Plan to try them if I get another tele. For now, no pickup interest me enough to take out the suprocasters.

18. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

This is a bit o' string physics that inspired the four-knob system on Gibsons. Why? If you get a decent neck pickup sound, the bridge pickup will just about always have too many overtones, even on a Les Paul. The day I figured this out was liberating to me. On all my Gibsons the bridge tone control is rolled back. Combined with proper pickup settings I can pop back and forth and the two match perfectly. On the two-knob Tele I simply roll back on the fly. The Tele is a creature of moderation. Unless you want to sound like a country twanger you'll want to pull back on the tone control and possibly the volume to round things out. It's a lot cheaper than doing the pickup-go-round thing. I cover this about 3/4 of the way down in my review of the 2011-2014 American Standard Tele, HERE on my webpage.

[​IMG]

Bob

DHart, don and Electric Warrior like this.
  19. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

yeah but I’m surprised no one has said much about the amp. A lot of people whether it’s on an amp or in recording overdo it with EQ.

20. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Its true, I've had amps that were prone to icepick in the clean range that I like. They were designed to flatter higher gain, or something. Those amps just didn't have the right voice or frequency response for my needs. I eventually learned that was part of their design, and intention for a different gain/voice than my needs. They are gone. I've also had amps designed for clean response, that were prone to icepick because they had damaged components and bad tubes. But, reading the OP struck me as worth looking at knob twisting first.

don likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.