1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bridge Pickup for MIM Tele to play Blues/Rock?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by nashsed, Jan 14, 2019.

1. nashsed

nashsed TDPRI Member

Hi All,

I'm contemplating picking up a 2017 MIM Standard Tele that's in mint condition. I currently use a Strat for single coil goodness and an SG which I've setup to Drop C as i've gotten in to playing a lot more metal over the past few weeks.

I now need a guitar to scratch my blues/classic rock/old school metal itch.

I love Teles and deeply regret getting rid of my Squier Tele. I'm hoping the MIM will be an even better guitar.

Most would say that a Tele doesn't exactly scream blues rock machine but I think with the right bridge pickup it can fill the gap in my arsenal.

Do you guys have any suggestions on a good T-style humbucker bridge pickup that I could swap on the MIM Tele I'm about to buy? Or do you think I'll never achieve the heavier rock tones I'm looking for on the Tele and would advise me to look elsewhere?

2. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

I think the stock pickup on the Standard is plenty hot enough to do that job. Just eq your amp accordingly and use those two knobs on the guitar.

JayFreddy, AxemanVR, stnmtthw and 3 others like this.
  3. nashsed

nashsed TDPRI Member

Would it be able to handle some heavier overdriven rock sounds as well? I
    thought the single coil bridge would be out of its element if I say tried to play some hair metal or even Joe Bonamassa style riffs?

4. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

A Tele is a pretty versatile guitar. But expecting to cover "blues/classic rock" *and* "old school metal" may be a bit much. If you want one guitar to cover all that, there are better choices than a Tele out there.

FWIW, It's good to remember that a fair amount of Led Zepplin was recorded using a Tele.

5. nashsed

nashsed TDPRI Member

I do agree that with a single coil bridge it's a bit of a stretch but was wondering if anybody had any positive experiences of replacing the bridge pickup with a DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan humbucker to achieve a heavier sound?

Or is that not worth the effort and money?

6. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

If you don't mind losing twang, the SD Lil 59 is a great option that makes it more PAF-ey. For more tele-ish sounding, the SD JD Lead.

7. WingedWords

WingedWords Friend of Leo's

First, grab the guitar while it's there! My avatar 2017 MiM Standard is the best value Tele I've ever had. Worry about the pick up later.

JayFreddy and nashsed like this.
  8. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The right answer is always "talk to Rob at Cavalier pickups".

CCK1, Bruxist, soulman969 and 2 others like this.
  9. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Actually I'll go out on a limb and say I'm not sure why any regular Tele won't be fine, and also there is probably no need for you to purchase another guitar at all. Your Strat and your SG will also play all the genre's just fine.

You might need to select the appropriate amp and/or pedals to get where you're going with a given guitar but all the guitars should get you there. You're not going to play metal on a Fender amp with the volume low with a Vintage Tele pickup but if you're talking about a dimed Marshall/Orange/Mesa/Peavey/whatever you have a much better chance even with that same low output pickup.

All the genre's you mention have all been played effectively with all of the guitars you mention.

To answer your question directly the MIM Standard's have a pretty hot bridge pickup for a Tele so they should have plenty of power for blues & rock.

I have an Orange.. I have a MIM Tele with low output pickups in it replacing the standard ones. My guitar is clean on the dirty channel at 11 o'clock on the gain knob, crunch at 12:30, AC/DC at 1 o'clock, Van Halen is up around 3 o'clock, and from 3 o'clock to 5 o'clock I'm pretty sure a portal to hell opens. Hotter pickups would just change the positions the different sounds occur at. And I can always kick in a boost too, which is a lot like what a Humbucker would do.

10. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have a T type with a Duncan Quarter Pounder in it. If you need hotter than that your playing Metal.

Wrong-Note Rod likes this.
  11. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

The short answer is a definite yes. With the right overdrive you will get plenty of girth with that pickup. I believe it has ceramic magnets that are really hot. My 1999 or so Standard sure did.

nashsed likes this.
  12. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

The coil sized rail buckers on my tele can do everything on mine! I call it my grampa tele that can also metal! With the coil split, it somewhat goes back to tele goodness.

13. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Before swapping out the pickups, I would recommend installing a four-way switch to add the neck + bridge pickup in series setting. It's less expensive than getting a new pickup, and the B+N in series setting is significantly hotter than the standard B+N in-parallel setting and is great for heavier hard rock tones.

jvin248 and nashsed like this.
  14. Ydwen Jones

Ydwen Jones Tele-Meister

The one thing I didn't like about my MIM Std were the ceramic pups. They were just too beefy for my taste. But they might just be the thing for you. I think they could be great for (heavy) rock. Btw, imo a Tele's just perfect for playing blues.

Southpaw Tele, nashsed and LocoTex like this.
  15. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

I used a Duncan Lil 59er as a rock thing and it was good for that. No twang at all, but great for rock.

Lots of guys use a super hi output straight up tele single coil pickup for rock and with overdrive, sounds outstanding. A good one is the Duncan Quarter-Pounder, I see those around still even tho they've been around awhile

I like the Rio Grandes... a Muy Grande will fill that bill, plus, still has a good amount of twang, too high output for classic old school twang, but does suffice... depending on how picky you are of course

16. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

I disagree. I had mine done and it sounds very dark. Its good for certain things in my opinion, but I wouldnt use it as a substitute for a straight ahead bridge rock pickup. too dark.

17. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Friend of Leo's

I have standard Mim 2017 too in Car Mn. Stock pickups are 5/10 on sound quality and 4/5 in power. U want Texas special, they have stronger output like 5/5 and quality of sound 10 out of 10. However Texas neck pickup is too straty, im going to change it to Seymour Duncan VIntage neck .

I kinda miss old MiM Standard. Like the player series but Standards had this kind of dirty soul to it.

Mincer and nashsed like this.
  18. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

For my "rock" Tele, I wanted to get hotter and thicker but retain some Tele twang. I really like the DiMarzio Area Hot T for that. FWIW I have a Duncan SM1-N (Firebird type) in the neck position. Balances great with the Hot T.

DHart and nashsed like this.
  19. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Agree!

ftbtx likes this.
  20. nashsed

nashsed TDPRI Member

Hahaha! I agree. So excited that I found one in Lake Placid blue! Probably my favorite Tele colour.

LocoTex and WingedWords like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.