1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bridge pickup for bright, harmonic-rich sound.

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by mooncaine, Mar 16, 2015.

1. mooncaine

mooncaine TDPRI Member

I've got a guitar that deserves a good Tele-sounding bridge pickup. The axe is bright, mostly maple and anyway I love a good twangy Tele sound best, so I'm looking for a pickup recommendation.

My favorite Tele sound in the world is Roy Buchanan's tone on the Live Stock record. I like squeezing out those squealing harmonics and I like a bright shimmer.

Apart from wanting bright, harmonic-rich Tele twang, I ain't feeling too picky about it so I don't want to spend a lot.

What would you recommend?

2. birv2

birv2 Tele-Afflicted

I got a Fender Original Vintage bridge pickup after some recommendations on this forum. I was going for an Albert Collins vibe, and I've been very pleased with it. Sounds very old school and is not expensive at all.

3. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

www.buckcannon.com/

Call Don, he's our resident Roy Buchanan expert. If you serious about Roy's sound, that is.

4. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Bill Lawrence/Wilde Keystones are the most harmonically rich pickup I've played. Very transparent and sweet sounding but also bright without the ice pick. They're just great sounding pickups, very versatile, and easy on the wallet.

http://www.wildepickups.com/

5. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

No offense to the Lawrences but their pickups don't sound like Nancy. Completely different thing going on.

6. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Try the Arcane Inc. '68 Experience. It pretty much nails the bright twang country rock/James Burton thing and does the Roy thing nicely with some added grit.

7. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

To me, some teles are either dead on , or, dead off to ice pick heaven.
    Sounds like you may want that Bakersfield sound? Probably basic
    vintage fender...no stagger

8. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

A Squier CV-50 White Blonde Tele pickup, if you can find one, which you probably won't, due to nobody wanting to change out theirs, or a Tonerider Hot Classic A-3 pickup, which is purportedly the same..

9. mooncaine

mooncaine TDPRI Member

Hmm, very very very interesting recommendations. Thanks!

10. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I have no idea what "Nancy" sounds like so I can't suggest something I've never played or spent a whole lot time defining. The OP asked for a bright harmonically rich bridge pickup and since I do play Keystones and they are bright and harmonically rich I made that a suggestion.

I don't anyone would be offended by rejecting something that doesn't fit. But I will say that a Keystone bridge pickup has plenty of the "bright harmonically rich Tele twang" the OP specified. Sorry if it's not a fit for him.

EDIT: I should probably add that I'm quite familiar with Roy Buchanan I've just never analyzed his pickups before.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  11. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

The fender 62 custom fits that description. $40 shipped all day long on ebay and i think they sound great. Twang, clang and harmonically great. hard to beat for the price too.

12. CheezeWhizz

CheezeWhizz TDPRI Member

There's a guy in the next town over from me that makes limited runs of tele pickups ( http://fezzterpickups.webs.com/ ). I saw an ad for them in the local Craigslist. He called them the "antithesis" of production pickups , not over-wound, over potted, or over gaussed. He used the term "subtle microphonic goodness".
    So I ordered set and they are killer. Since he lives so close, he actually brought them to me and installed them! He was a little cranky at first, asking me questions like "Do you use a lot of gain?" and "Do you know what those knobs on your guitar are for?". I must have passed the "audition" and answered the questions right.
    I'm just an old hobby guitarist, but I've been playing for my own entertainment for years. I'd always loved Classic country and Blues and have never been an effects guy. Just straight into my old Ampeg Reverb-o-Rocket. These things are really great and affordable. He's the one who told me about this site, and I've been looking without participating for a while.

13. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Wow very nice!!! Fezz used to be a very active member here, I learned a great deal from his witty posts. Very sad he doesn't make appearances anymore... but you are incredibly fortunate to have met the master and seen his work. Enjoy those new pickups! Wish I could take them for a spin too lol...

14. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

We miss fezz and his effin' tech talks. Did he drink any blue stuff? :lol:

15. mooncaine

mooncaine TDPRI Member

This guitar's not Nancy enough to take your pickup

Wow, I am lovin' the pickup suggestions.

About the Nancy sound: I am super grateful that Mr. Mare's website points out how a Nancy-wired Tele isn't going to be a great all-around workhorse. I still want that set, though, so I will keep that to tell my Mrs. about when a gift idea is needed.

I don't even have the amp (a huge part of that sound, no doubt) anyway. For my current guitar, an all-maple headless Steinberger, I just need a bridge pickup because I ripped out its own lackluster pups. This guitar has a bright, snappy sound and seems like it would work well with a Tele bridge pickup.

It's not worth spending real money on, so $150 or so would be my limit. $40 to $80 looks even better! When this guitar's hardware wears out, I can't run down to the store and get parts, so I'm not expecting it to last another 10.

16. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ok. I'm going out on a limb to say that Roy's bright, harmonically-rich sound had more to do with his DIMED Vibrolux (all controls on 10 except reverb, generally) than with a particular pickup. That and his technique. It must have been ungodly loud, and incredibly "alive". I can't figure how he didn't fart out the bass but that must be a technique thing. I'd think just about any Tele bridge pickup would bring the goods with that died amp.

17. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah if you can get in on Fezz's limited run grab a set !

I've had them in beat up MIM Tele for about a year now and they are effing great ! He emailed me today to tell me the set I ordered are shipping tomorrow. Those are going in a 78 Tele.

His neck pickup is great and the bridge ? Well after 30 plus years of almost not useing bridge pickups on anything I'm useing that bridge pickup alot and liking it.

18. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

The Nordstrand alnico 3 pups are excellent.

19. mooncaine

mooncaine TDPRI Member

Once again, thanks, folks! Ultimately I put off this job in favor of another fun, cheap guitar project. I realized that a Fender Bullet Strat I picked up for $90 has a fantastic Roy-like bridge pickup sound through my amp, maybe even more trebly (which I like).

Anyway, I'm eventually going to get a Tele pickup into my project guitar. In the meantime, I'm gratefully saving the thread on peghead holes, here, because I'm gonna need to do that to the Bullet, to upgrade its tuners to Hipshot Griplock staggered.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-technical/276610-best-way-enlarge-peg-holes-headstock.html

I already slapped a set of those on my Squier Tele and now it's ready, a fine playing guitar with rock-solid tuning stability.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.