Bridge Pickup Country Style?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Robkay, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Robkay

Robkay Tele-Meister

I'm in the u.k. and always felt the s.duncan pickups were a safe bet and usually easily available, just doing a new build which will have an allparts mini in the neck, but what about the bridge. I have a tele with the brent mason pickup(studio,) which works very well but someone suggested a broadcaster or jerry donahue.
    Any thoughts or ideas appreciated.
    Rob(uk)

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I'm a fan of Duncans - they sound great, they are easy to buy and to re-sell, not too expensive. And their website does a great job of describing how they sound, without any bogus marketing-speak. I have used a couple of the Duncan tele bridge pickups over the years. The Jerry Donahue is a real classic, very popular. To me it's JUST at the edge of being too overwound to make for good chicken-pickin' - with the guitar tone on 10, it definitely sounds like a nice, (but fat) tele pickup. If you roll the tone back a ways you get something well suited for blues / rock kind of sounds.

Mine is paired with a Lollar 50s wind P90 at the neck. P90s are loud, but this one is pretty underwound and through management of pickup height they can balance well. If you are after a really bright and twangy bridge pickup, the JD is probably not what you want, but it works really well for me in the guitar I use the most.

Mincer likes this.
  3. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

We live (as others have aptly said) in a golden age of inexpensive guitars.....likewise, we're in a golden age of guitar pickups. I have owned $15 pickups from China that sounded darn good. I've also owned expensive pickups, that sounded great, too. My choice now is a very inexpensive but top notch product by Bootstrap Pickups. Forty or fifty dollars a PAIR, and I defy anyone to claim anything available is better. That said, some here may agree that any decent pickup, with proper height adjustment, quality control pots, and tweaking at the amp will sound great. It's kind of a cliche, but your sound truly is in your hands.

BB likes this.
  5. Pick_n_Strum

Pick_n_Strum TDPRI Member

I'm a fan of the Fender Original Vintage bridge. I think that was the standard in the '52 Reissue. I have a set in my MIM FSR and I love it.

howardlo likes this.
  6. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

I've used the Seymour Duncan broadcaster in a Tele back in 80s time frame. I liked it pretty well as I recall. Had a little grit to it, not crystal clear/clean.
    I'm getting Seymour Duncan alnico pro II' s in my Nashville deluxe Tele as we speak (neck and bridge). I'd previously put a super switch in to get neck/bridge combination (lost the middle by itself). Looking forward to pick it up.

nojazzhere and Mincer like this.
  7. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

Love to hear how the new set sounds and compared to the stock set.

8. Wrong way Tele

Wrong way Tele TDPRI Member

#1 on the SD Alnico II pro bridge.

'64 Tele likes this.
  9. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

Friday am can't get here soon enough. :rolleyes:

10. Robkay

Robkay Tele-Meister

11. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

...long-time fan of the Jerry Donahue. Got one in my Tele Custom, paired with a Brandon Wound WRHB in the neck.

Mincer likes this.
  12. Robkay

Robkay Tele-Meister

Heres a recording i did many years ago with the Allparts mini and the 5/2 in the bridge......

preactor and nojazzhere like this.
  13. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

The Five Two is also a great county bridge pickup.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.