Bridge Pickup: Base Plate vs. No Plate (2011 AM STD MIA Telecaster)

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Mauma, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Mauma

Mauma TDPRI Member

Hi,

I've seen several posts about this topic but they're old so I thought to freshen it up a bit, maybe someone can post updated information or videos about this.

I got my first Telecaster: 2011 60th Anniversary AM STD MIA whose bridge pickup came with no base plate.

The neck pickup is amazing, but the bridge pickup sounds a bit too thin and trebely. I tried a 2013 Tele that came with the broadcaster pickup and had a little more body in its sound, so I thought maybe the base plate had something to do with it?

I was thinking on installing one to it but I've been reading some replies saying that it will make no difference at all so I am a bit confused.

I live in Argentina so StewMac is not an option for me but I got one at a local shop here (attached in this post) it's made of Copper and cost me only $3 USD without any screws and it's supposed to be KAISH brand.

Some questions around this topic:

1) Does anybody have a sound demo or video about this? I was surprised not finding any... I found one in youtube for stratocaster plates but it has no use as tele bridge is so different.

2) Is it worthy to try it? Seen many posts saying that it would make no difference, and as for doing it I'll have to go to luthier (because I don't have the tools) I was wondering if it's worth the trouble.

3) I understand I should put some masking tape over the magnets so that they don't make contact with the plate, is that right?

4) I need to solder the plate to where the black cable gets for grounding, is that correct? Will it be to terrible not to solder? Because in that case I could just try it myself without going to luthier.

5) My bridge pickup model is the one that has ONE screw in the bottom that goes into the mic between the magnets in the middle. Should I remove that screw? because otherwise it affects the way the plate sits on it not being straight...or should I drill the plate so that the screw goes through and back to the mic as it was without the plate?

6) I've also seen a post where it has 2 screws and replaced them for plastic screws...is that necessary?

7) Is candle wax necessary? I've seen a video on a strat pickup the guy uses some candle wax and then heat it with an air dryer and sticks to the pickup.

Sorry about all the questions, but I don't want to mess it up and this post could help others in the same situation : )

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  2. Mauma

Mauma TDPRI Member

This is the Telecaster I am talking about...

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.