Bridge options

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by horax, May 27, 2020.

1. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have a players series tele, stock except for labrea pickups.

Ive had several types of teles, from squier’s to the American original 50’s.

right now I’m torn and would like opinions.

I like the stock saddles because they’re very comfortable to play and intonate. However, I really prefer the look of the barrell saddles and ashtray bridge.

I’m considering a swap to something new, but uncertain as to what I should choose.

what bridge would drop right in that would give the most sustain possible, coupled with superior vintage edged tone?

ive considered six brass block saddles, but just want to know your opinions and what you like and why.

thanks!

2. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Afflicted

I like the Gotoh In-Tune brass saddles, they have compensated slots on them for improved intonation. Another benefit is that the strings won't shift around the saddle. They do seem to give more punch and sustain to my ears.

Just the good old Fender Pat Pend stamped bridge will work fine. I like to go a little thicker with the Fender Highway One bridge (the Joe Barden is the same thickness if you can't find the HW1).

Treehouse likes this.
  3. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Meister

looks aside, I love the ashtray style bridge (w/o ashtray cover) for the feel and finger placement reference.

I bought some 3 barrel brass compensated saddles but never installed them! My stock style 3 brass saddles intonate just fine.

4. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've tried Babicz and Gotoh modern 6-saddle bridges and Fender, Wilkinson, Callaham and Kluson vintage bridges. Then recently I tried a bridge made by Advanced Music Products (Advanced Plating Nashville) on recommendation from @roknfnrol. Best bridge I've ever played. They have easily a half dozen varieties with and without cutaways, dual load, top load, string through and half bridges...I think they even make one for Bigsbys...maybe. I got string through for one tele and a dual-load half bridge for my reverse Esquire Jazzbo tele. They come in vintage approved .048" (what I got) and .060" cold-rolled steel (I think they have stainless steel as an option too) and, on the dual-load models, the top load holes are higher up and not right against the body like on the Wilkinson. They replaced a Kluson and a Wilkinson respectively and livened up both guitars. The Kluson was the only thing I hadn't changed or upgraded on a semi-disappointing luthier build from a few years ago and it still had a dead-sounding twang. Twangs like a beast now! I can't recommend these guys enough. You can pay up to $125 for a Glendale or Callaham (I got a deal on mine on eBay...it improved the guitar I put it on, but it's thicker than vintage so a little different sound); my Advanced Plating bridge ran me $25. If you get one of their most popular models, you can buy them at Philadelphia Luthier Supply. If you want one of the more specialized ones (like the two I ordered), you have to order direct...and they have a $75 minimum order. PLS has 3 or 4 models though, as I recall. Very pleased with them.

I like the looks of the vintage Pat Pending Fender bridges (I even heard they were cold-rolled steel too), but not the design. They always cut into my hands because of the way they bent them to fit the ashtray (which almost no one uses). Plus, they are frequently not flat on the bottom, which can cause feedback issues with some pickups, I hear.

BorderRadio, KW1977 and roknfnrol like this.
  5. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Wilkinson tempered bridge will get you there I think. I put mine on eight years ago. Still have it on. Unlikely to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KW1977 likes this.
  6. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

This is definitely an area where you don't have to overthink it or spend a lot to achieve the desired effect. I'd go Wilkinson, Gotoh(specifically the BS-TC1S), or Barden. But before any bridge I'd definitely confirm that they'll fit your guitar first. MIM & MIA hardware doesn't always match up.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  7. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Tele-Holic

I really love these compensated saddles from Philadelphia Luthier Supply.

[​IMG]

8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I've settled on (after many different tries) on the Wilkinson vintage style ashtray, with the Bensonite brass compensated saddles. Most comfortable saddles I've ever tried. Kmaxbrady (seller) is a member here, and sells on Reverb.

9. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Good enough for Keith and thousands of other "vintage" players, good enough for me:

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-h...tar-bridges/gotoh-modern-bridge-for-tele.html

But if you want to be realistic the stock bridge of your tele is FINE and actual difference,not improvement, in "vintage tone and sustain" will be hardly noticeable if you play alone in your room and definitely not noticeable in a recording or live setting.

10. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I’ve considered a brass plate a la muddy waters and Keith richards.

I don’t mind block saddles. I’m just wondering what would be best on sustain overall? Maybe brass block saddles?

how do blocks compare to barrels?

11. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

Sorry you lost me at...

however if you just want to replace the saddles, I think machined ones (solid brass, steel, Ti, or whatever) will probably sound better than cheapo cast pot metal ones.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.