1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bridge... Humongous Lion, Chopper T, Quarter Pounder... anyone compare?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Webfoot, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Webfoot

Webfoot Tele-Holic

Ready to try something different for rock gigs. These 3 seem to be heavyweight contenders. Are they overkill? Overly compressed?

Just want something musical that has a matching neck for clean bell tones.

2. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

A buddy of mine had a Quarter Pounder in his Strat. This was a long time ago, and I liked how it sounded for harder rock stuff, but it didn't sound very Strat-like for playing anything else. Anyway, based on that, I've never considered the Quarter Pounder again, even though its specs are supposedly similar to a P90 (at least the inductance is, IIRC).

After much research, I decided to get a Chopper T for a 'mostly rock' Tele. The only problem is it's stuck in USPS's system, and hasn't moved from the last hub since Dec. 24th. So I have nothing to report yet, on that one. But going by Richie Kotzen's Tele tones, I'm expecting it to work out nicely, for its intended purpose, anyway.

No experience yet with Cavalier Pickups, but that may change in 2021. I like all the options in Rob's lineup - should really allow one to zero in on what they want.

Webfoot likes this.
  3. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

I use QPs in my tele. I love them but they’re lacking for squeaky clean tones. Decent if your clean is mild breakup and overdrive. They have a powerful and focused sound that has good string separation with gain.

All the pickups you mentioned sacrifice clean tones for more powerful rock sounds. I think you would be better serviced with one of those pickups in the bridge and getting a standard tele pup in the neck.

4. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had a ChopperT in for years. It's hotter than others, you definitely get the rock tone, but if you work the volume you can still get the twang. The only reason I changed it is I wanted to get a more traditional tone and also change the stock neck PUP, so I got a set of AreaTs.

5. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

I had Rob wind me a monster Nocaster (43AWG over A3) to 13k DCR. I told him I wanted something just south of a 1/4 pounder output wise. I forget how many winds he said that was but it just squeezed past the bridge plate. I wanted a fire breather. I jokingly call it the Ludicrous Lion. I think a tapped version to go from say, a Ludicrous to Nocaster for parallel combos would be the ultimate Tele bridge pickup. Very nice midrange punch.
    Sorry for the very dirty guitar pic but heres the Ludicrous up close... Maybe too close..

FDF8A573-C7E7-4012-8674-4F69BC14E896.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  6. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Rob's double or triple tapped pickups would give you the best of both worlds.

Tele® & Esquire® Tapped Single Coil Bridge Pickups
    Twin Lion - Tele®/Esquire® bridge pickup. A single tapped Lion that delivers two voices. Using a push/pull tone pot (with dpdt switch), or a separate spdt or dpdt switch, in your Tele® or Esquire® allows the Twin Lion voice selection, or a 4-way or even 5-way switch can utilized for different pickup voice selections. When ordering a Twin Lion, please use the "Custom Options?" box to specify how you want the pickup to be voiced/tapped - an example of this would be "Bakersfield and Fat Lion" ... but any two of these winds can be ordered - Bakersfield, Nashville, Fat Lion, Huge Lion. Black, or ivory/parchment string wrapped, iron baseplate and supplied with mounting screws and tubing.

The Hydra Lion - Tele®/Esquire® bridge pickup. A double tapped Lion that delivers any three of these Cavalier Lion voices - Bakersfield, Nashville, Fat Lion, or Huge Lion - just specify the three voices you'd like by entering their names in the order "Custom Options?" box. Black, or ivory/parchment string wrapped, iron baseplate and supplied with mounting screws and tubing.

The Ryu Hydra Lion - Tele®/Esquire® bridge pickup. This special pickup uses the same A3 rod magnets and 43AWG coil wire as the Cavalier Nocaster pickup, tapped at these turn counts - 5500, 7500, and the full coil of 1000. It's uniquely double tapped with fixed turn count positions that deliver the wide range of typical vintage 1950/1951 Tele®/Esquire® pickup voices that were randomly offered in those guitars. The first tap is that ubiquitous low wind, low output, clear high treble 1950 tone, the second tap increases the midrange and output, and the full coil has that "holy grail" thick Nocaster fat treble tone and output. Black, or ivory/parchment string wrapped, iron baseplate and supplied with mounting screws and tubing.

4pickupguy likes this.
  7. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I have a Chopper T and it’s fairly hot and fat in straight up series humbucking mode, but it does have a healthy top end - not as hot as a super distortion T or tone zone T.

In my experience, split and Parallel mode sound very similar to each other with this pickup and, while not sounding exactly like a vintage pickup, it does have a pretty good twang in these modes.

How rocky do you need it to get? Are we talking Rolling Stones or Metallica here? Even a moderately overwound bridge pickup still has some good bite and twang to it but with a little treble taken off the amp and a little gain added it can really scream. That’s the beauty of the Tele bridge position - probably one of the most versatile bridge position guitars out there.

8. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I really like the Quarter-pounders for everything. Check out the You-tube demo. I use the flat-pole for strat neck along with the tele bridge pickup. With 50s' wiring, no-load 250 tone, and a .01 cap, I can go from jazz to twang with great clean tones. May not be everyone's cup of tea, but they work for me. I have tried a lot of pickups, but I always come back to these.

BB and DeepDangler like this.
  9. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I have a Quarter Pounder in the neck position of my Ibanez Talman, paired with a DiMarzio Pre B1 in the bridge. I got it on sale, thinking it would work well with the hotter bridge output. As much as I like the Pre B1, I dislike the QP, it is mud city, no definition whatsoever, and I've tried lowering the height until it was just about flush with the pickguard.
    I've also tried a treble bleed and 50's wiring (which I prefer anyway). I was going to try a series cap as a low cut filter, but if I'm going to do that I may as well just replace the pickup. I have a Zhangbucker on the way from his last specials sale, can't wait.

BB likes this.
  10. gtrwrks

gtrwrks Tele-Afflicted

The Lion in Question - while 'hot' - is far more 'Tele' than the QP. I've had/used both - I've not played the Chopper T.

11. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

I’m not big on the quarter pound neck. Seymour Duncan uses brass covers on those which attenuated too many highs for me. I prefer my neck pickups more open and use the strat QP neck.

zippofan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.