1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bridge humbucker, neck single coil, reverse taper pots

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by MarkA, Apr 11, 2021.

1. MarkA

MarkA Tele-Meister

Hey guys, I’m finishing off my first left handed guitar and run into an issue with my tone pot. It’s all or none with virtually no taper.

I’m using 500k CTS reverse audio taper for both and a 473j cap. 1 volume, 1 tone, 3 way switchcraft.

At the moment, it’s wired exactly like the attached diagram. Any ideas what I can do to get a sweep out of this tone pot? She sounds a bit shrill throughout at the moment and need the sweep to tame her shriek.

Also note, I think to make pots work/rotate the correct direction I’d need to swap the outside lugs... but that is less of an issue at this point. I don’t think it would affect my tone knob lack of sweep.

3D039630-199A-451B-8DDB-9228A1CCADC7.png

PhredE likes this.
  2. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

The one and only left handed guitar I have built had two 'buckers and the usual 500K log tapered pots with the taper in the "normal" direction, along with a 0.022uf cap. I asked the guy I was building for which way he wanted the pots to turn, he said the "normal" right handed way, all of his other guitars were CW to get louder/brighter. That guitar had nice control of the tone roll off.

IMG_2582-2.jpg

You are kind of mixing single coil and humbucker cap and pot values and throwing in the reverse taper confuses it more.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  3. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

Off in another thread there were several people talking about taming a shrill pickup and related stuff.

On the suggestion of JRapp (thanks! :)), I soldered a 220pf ceramic cap between the +/- pins on the guitar's output jack. It worked beautifully (the guitar is the Squier VM '51 in the pic). In my case, the shrillness was coming from the Strat-type neck pickup, the bridge (tapped) humbucker was basically ok.

After I post this, I'll go try to chase down the thread as it applies directly to your question.
    ..give me a minute...
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/tweak-pickup-resonant-peak-with-a-capacitor.1066735/

MarkA likes this.
  4. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

For left-handed use with reverse audio pots, you need to wire the pots mirror-wise compared with the diagram. Then your taper will be correct.

MarkA likes this.
  5. MarkA

MarkA Tele-Meister

Thanks for that, it seems like a bit of a universal filter that may come in handy for sure.

Thanks, seems like a logical place to start I'll swap the wires on the outside lugs today and cross my fingers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.