Bridge Humbucker in CV Strat or MIM Tele?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by nashsed, Mar 2, 2019.

1. nashsed

nashsed TDPRI Member

Hi All,

I'm looking to change the pups on both my CV 50s Strat and my MIM Tele.

However, I would like one of the two to have a humbucker in the bridge as I feel like I'm missing out on some classic rock/blues tones.

I have an SG which is fitted with a high output Alnico 8 pickup from Tonerider, so it works really well for metal but not that great for more vintage style tones.

In your opinion and experience which of the two guitars would be better suited to having a humbucker in the bridge to get some classic rock/blues tones?

Currently I'm leaning towards the Strat as it has a very weak bridge pickup but at the same time I don't play much country so the twang aspect of a Tele bridge is not very relevant for me either.

Which combination would give me the greater tonal versatility?

Please keep in mind that if it's the strat I'd have to go for a single coil sized humbucker.

2. NothingGoatboat

NothingGoatboat Tele-Meister

Strat. The Tele would require routing. And Strats are generally better suited for 'buckers.

3. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Artec make a clone dual rail/hot rail humbucker in fitments suitable for the Telecaster or Stratocaster. Tonally, it sits between a hot single coil and a traditional humbucker. They require no routing. The CV in my out of date avatar has one fitted. It sounds great for everything short of metal, which, as I don't play modern metal, suits me fine. Vanson make similar units.

4. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

An easy solution is to put the Duncan Lil '59 in the bridge of a Tele- I did exactly that to cover more of the rock/ blues styles and get the humbucker vibe without getting too dark in tone.

Chunkocaster and nashsed like this.
  5. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

As mentioned, if you're set on a real humbucker sized humbucker, drop it In the strat.

If you're looking for double stacked stuff you can drop into a single coil slot, tele would be a solid option for those.

If you can't get anything you're really feeling out of your tele, p90 style pickups can be had in the size teles already have. Vineham makes some that I was going to get. (I only changed my mind because I love the stock bridge pickups crunchiness but hate the lack of definition to the neck, but decided to test it for a spell with a 4way switch.

6. Red Bread

Red Bread Tele-Meister

Seymour Duncan little 59 for both
    I’m not s big humbucker guy but I enjoy the one I have in my Teley
    No routing or bridge swap
    Plug and play

Attached Files:

nashsed likes this.
  7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I have a lil 59 in my cv50's blond, chopper-t in a 60's custom tele partscaster. They both work well for classic rock, sustaining lead. Out of the two the lil 59 is not so good at cleanish imo.

nashsed likes this.
  8. Bjackcity

Bjackcity TDPRI Member

I was able to get some unique tones outta the HSH strat I built. Still bluesy....but modern not that vintage vibe. It Handles jazz/fusion well thou. Took a week or two of playing to appreciate it, mainly cause it was different than my norm.

9. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Another alternative would be to go with (perhaps significantly) hotter/fatter single coils.

IMO, they sometimes prove to be a better compromise, since you can sometimes get at some cleaner and brighter tones, too, w/o them sounding overly muddy or dull.

I put a DiMarzio Injector in the bridge slot of a Strat, and absolutely love it. It's got a hotter/fatter sound, but still also sounds a lot like a Strat, too.

I had a Virtual Vintage Hot T (now the Area Hot T) in the bridge of a Tele for awhile. While it ended up being a bit too fat for the cleaner & twangier stuff, it really made me feel like I was playing a LP Jr for the gainier stuff. Was just really good for that. I plan on putting it in another Esquire'ish parts build.

I also just got a DiMarzio Virtual Solo Strat bridge pickup, for a parts build that suffered from sounding too thin and bright at the bridge pickup only. It's a bit hotter/fatter than the Injector, but actually works perfectly in the specific guitar I have it installed in. I can still pull some twang out of the sound, and the clean tones don't sound bad at all.

I didn't intend for this to be about just DiMarzio hum-canceling pickups, but I've had really good luck with their Virtual/Area stuff. I like their options for Strats, especially. Other than the Injector and Virtual Solo, they've got at least one other model that is hotter/fatter than a traditional Strat pickup.

So, even if there's not going to be any routing done, I'd probably personally swap out the bridge pickup in a Strat, because there's so many more options than what's available for the Tele.

If you're replacing the bridge pickup in the Strat, you might also want to consider altering the tone control so that it works with the bridge pickup. That's helpful simply to make even a stock/traditional Strat bridge pickup sound less thin.

nashsed and Chunkocaster like this.
  10. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

DiMarzio (yep, thats right) makes some really nice strat sized humbuckers. I have two from 20 years ago that became the Virtual Vintage series.

They're pretty powerful and clear, yet still retain some trad strat character. I've had them in the neck and bridge positions and they sound good in both.

DiMarzio has made a history of manufacturing good pickups without much marketing or advertising.

BTW, I spoke with Sonny Landreth one night and he told me that he was using DiMarzio strat PU's in the bridge positions of both of the strats he was playing that night. He was using those bridge pup's for all of his slide work.

You would think DiMarzio would jump all over that endorsement...

nashsed likes this.
  11. nashsed

nashsed TDPRI Member

Thanks for the slightly out of the box suggestion. It's definitely something I'll consider because I've been wary of ruining a perfectly good classic SSS style strat.

12. nashsed

nashsed TDPRI Member

A lot of love for DiMarzio and probably well deserved.

I've heard a couple of demos on YouTube for their Strat pickups and they sound terrific. The Injector mentioned by @11 Gauge in particular has really caught my attention.

13. DeanEVO_Dude

DeanEVO_Dude TDPRI Member

I've never been much for a strat bridge pickup, plus I'm a full size humbucker guy... So, for me it's the fat-strat style of pickups. I've got a Jackson Adrian Smith signature with an SD '59 in the bridge... that's all. Also, I think a tele bridge can get some really good overdriven tones. I think an overwound pickup like a SD JB in the bridge, that way, if you like the hot vintage style strat bridge pickup, you can do coil splitting.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.