Bridge Humbucker in a Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by adamp824, Jan 17, 2020.

1. adamp824

adamp824 TDPRI Member

I bought a Fender American Elite Tele last year and found that i love the sound of the neck pickup (which i wasn’t expecting).

I’d quite like a second tele with a humbucker and set it up for slide guitar.

As i’d quite like to keep the neck pick up, what i’d like to know is, does anyone know of any tele-style guitars that have a tele neck pick up and a humbucker in the bridge? I can’t find one anywhere online!

I know this may be a controversial request as many people seem to gravitate towards a tele for its bridge pickup sound. There are plenty of teles around with the opposite configuration (humbucker in the neck, singlecoil in the bridge), but I just can’t find one how I want it!

I’d rather buy one with the configuration I want if possible, rather than buy it and then buy a pickup and a new bridge etc.

Any help or insight you can provide is much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Retrobob and logans_tele like this.
  2. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Meister

If you can't find a guitar that fits the bill I would probably get the telecaster I wanted (right neck, right colour, right price, whatever) and put a Seymour Duncan tele size lil'59 in.

3. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said. Either that or and dual rail type Humbucker will do the job.

Si G X and rickthescot like this.
  4. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

Yep. That's what I have in the bridge. (Humbucker in the neck as well.) The Lil '59 doesn't get a lot of love in these parts. Personally I think it's great. There are blade humbuckers out there as well that might fit the bill.

Si G X likes this.
  5. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

Yes, there are many humbuckers made in the Telecaster bridge pickup size. That’s a cheap and easy mod. One could argue that single coil sized humbuckers don’t sound like full sized ones, but it’s close enough to give it a try.

An other option is to buy a custom made body and make a partscaster.

6. mugen74

mugen74 TDPRI Member

Had a MIM with Duncan Hot Rails in bridge and neck. Not the trad Tele sound, but just about the only guitar I regret selling.

jh

Mincer likes this.
  7. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Had a lil 59

went with a Fralin blues special

never looked back

8. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

Isn't there a Modern Player Telecaster with full size bridge humbucker?

LowCaster likes this.
  9. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

10. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

I really like the sound of a TV Jones Classic in the bridge.

11. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

They're different enough that those statements are valid for recording or purely academic discussion of the differences, but I can't imagine any live performance difference being noticeable. Plus, I think the minute difference is a positive one.

12. adamp824

adamp824 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the input!

I’ll have a look in to the ‘lil’ pickups and take it from there.

It’s a shame that no one seems to offer standard humbuckers in the bridge (with tele neck) as stock. Seems to be a gap in the market there!

13. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

We have 2:

and this one may take some digging.Also they can be pricy.

14. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

True, but you’ll find that it is not that easy to match single coils with full size humbuckers. They may show a noticeable difference in output, and tone, and need some adjustments (pots, caps...) and compromises, unless you want to keep things unbalanced, which is nice too.

15. adamp824

adamp824 TDPRI Member

That second one is pretty much what I’m after - i’ve just never seen one with a bridge humbucker as standard before. I’ll keep an eye out for one.

Thanks a lot!

16. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

My ex tele with a single coil sized rail humbucker on the bridge for your reference.

17. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

I've not seen many telecasters with that configuration and can't recall playing on one. But I'd be concerned that there would be a pretty significant leap in volume between neck (S) and bridge (H). I'd want to test one out to make sure that middle position on the selector switch was as usable as I had expected it to be, also. It seems like you might run into some balancing issues. When you blend a notoriously thin tele single coil neck pup with a humbucker with bridge winding...I think you will lose most of the characteristics of the neck pickup.

On my last Tele I went with 2 humbuckers cuz I already had one guitar with the classic Tele bridge sound. The coil taps do a good enough job for me if I just really hafta have that single coil sound.

18. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

B39FB4AD-4C0F-49C1-A970-01B68057BA75.jpeg You could also take a Player Series Tele HH and put a single coil in the neck with a new pickguard.

I know you don’t want to buy a guitar and mod it but this would be better quality than the MIC Modern Tele and half the cost of a 90s Tele Plus. You also get to choose your neck pickup.

A good guitar tech could do this mod for you in less than an hour.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    howardlo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.