1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bridge covers on Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Gretev1, Apr 9, 2020.

1. timbraun

timbraun TDPRI Member

I have a couple Teles and a Strat that came with covers but I can't play with them in place. The little short cover for my 7x Deluxe was long gone when I got the guitar. I had forgotten that they came with one from the factory. I know I have the tray from the 7x Custom and I did check the fit way back when. Tried to play with it in place. Not for me.

I'm pretty sure the design concept had the Tele bridge cover acting as a shield for the pickup to reduce hum.

2. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread but...will this topic ever be dead? Same with locking tuners...

I guess my question would first be why do they exist at all? Did Leo et al install them just to be tidy, or was there a technical reason?

I am an ashtray kinda guy - not a performer - barely a capable player, so my opinion matters little. I like the looks of the ashtrays - both long and short - and even like the look of the small bridge covers on Mustangs and bridges of that ilk that will accept them. Are they trouble-free? Not at all. Do I remove them sometimes? Soitanly! I find on the rocker-bridges the cover plate makes it more likely I whack them out of adjustment. Can my ears pick up the intonation change - not really. Fine tuning doesn't matter much to me because no one is listening.

My second question is, where do all the unused ashtrays go to die?

3. Daddy Dom

Daddy Dom TDPRI Member

This isn't a dead thread - yet. ;)

I haven't played guitar in a band for a while - usually keys. This time around, I'm using my new Esquire in a new band with new songs. I'm using the ashtray and I love it. I have found ways to mute and anything else (little finger, right hand and varying string-pressure left hand).
    I guess my technique is not exactly the same as everyone else's. That's good!
    I don't feel limited one iota, I'm evolving with my ashtray.
    DD

4. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Bridge cover? I thought that was a pick holder! And some guys used it as an ashtray too...b/c the ashes would make their picks grippy. I can't be the only guy who thought this...

5. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

On both Tele & Strat they get in the way generally, also rule out palm muting.
    Purely cosmetic in my view.

6. Gary135r

Gary135r Tele-Meister

My Mod Shop Tele came with one.

7. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

i use it to make weird noises

8. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

The bridge cover /ashtray completes the visual design. Leo, being a designer of lap steels felt the pickup and all the associated toiletries should be covered and out of sight. They say (whomever THEY are) Leo didn't realize guitarists would use their palms to muffle or control the strings. I only half believe this because you palm or muffle lap steel strings as well. So the bridge cover visually completes the design, quite elegantly I'd say I suggested this before but how about a bridge cover with a pressure sensitive lever on the flat area that, when pushed would lower a rubber pad and muffle or control the strings.................... hey it could work.

Stay safe out there,
    Gary

9. Ivyjane

Ivyjane TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

The squire cv 50’s (2020) didn’t come with one.

I purchased one (fender part) it didn’t quite fit tightly. But a little copper tape fixed that.

Depending what I’m playing I’ll use the cover or not. I really do however like how it looks installed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.