Bridge Collapse in Pittsburgh

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Your grandparents lived one block away from where I play music with my musical mentor most weeks during normal times. And, I think I might know the people who live there now. If not that exact house, one of the immediate neighbors.

That is my favorite neighborhood in all of Pittsburgh.

I have a lot of old memories about that neighbourhood. My childhood dog (Lulu) was passed over the backyard fence there -- "D'you want a puppy?"

Zepfan

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I40 bridge over the Mississippi River at Memphis had a broken section that shifted last year, but didn't fall. Took many months to repair and definitely could've been catastrophic.

Yes, this shouldn't happen, but it does all the time. Then the finger pointing starts.

old wrench

Friend of Leo's
I assume population growth isn't specifically directed at Pittsburgh.

population-graph

https://www.biggestuscities.com/city/pittsburgh-pennsylvania

That's a pretty common-looking population graph for the cities that used to be the industrial and manufacturing power-houses of the USA - cities like Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburg, etc. etc.

catdaddy

Tele-Afflicted
Ahhh --- my grandparents lived in Regent Square, right around there, on one of those brick-paved streets. (Checks) still paved like that: https://goo.gl/maps/kAXP7pyEdNrFTroC7
Small world. My grandparents lived in Regent Square on Whitney. I used to play baseball at the 14th Ward ball field at Frick Park. My brother and I used to explore the trails in the park, including those close to where the bridge collapsed. Of course, when we were there the bridge was the one built in 1901, which subsequently was replaced by the one that collapsed today. Apparently that old bridge lasted longer than the newer one. Just glad to hear that there were no fatalities- kind of miraculously good luck.

72_Custom

Tele-Meister
I assume population growth isn't specifically directed at Pittsburgh.

population-graph

https://www.biggestuscities.com/city/pittsburgh-pennsylvania

That graph looks bad (and it is), but the thing about Pittsburgh is that it's an economic donut- nobody lives in the middle. And the city limits are extraordinarily small. There are neighborhoods only a few miles from downtown that are outside of the city limits. The population of the city is a little over 300,000, but the county has 2 million. So, while many folks did leave the area in the '70s and '80s, most of the decline in the other decades is suburban flight.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
That graph looks bad (and it is), but the thing about Pittsburgh is that it's an economic donut- nobody lives in the middle. And the city limits are extraordinarily small. There are neighborhoods only a few miles from downtown that are outside of the city limits. The population of the city is a little over 300,000, but the county has 2 million. So, while many folks did leave the area in the '70s and '80s, most of the decline in the other decades is suburban flight.

Area-population-2010-2018-650-px

Status
Not open for further replies.