Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Perhaps you missed the sarcasm.
Yes. I missed it entirely.

1643399059743.png

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
The dirt you see is the ground under the bridge where it pulled away from the road surface. The bridge itself is concrete on steel frame. The fact that the decking held together probably saved lives. It looks like the structure under one end failed and the deck dropped in one piece to the ravine floor. If the deck had split mid-span this could have been worse.

Ah.... ok thanks for that explanation. Wow.

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
Ahhh --- my grandparents lived in Regent Square, right around there, on one of those brick-paved streets. (Checks) still paved like that: https://goo.gl/maps/kAXP7pyEdNrFTroC7

Your grandparents lived one block away from where I play music with my musical mentor most weeks during normal times. And, I think I might know the people who live there now. If not that exact house, one of the immediate neighbors.

That is my favorite neighborhood in all of Pittsburgh.

telestratosonic

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I live near it too. My street is closed and they were evacuating homes because of a natural gas leak caused by the collapse. No one has knocked on my door, so I think all is good now. I didn't hear the collapse, but I was awoken this morning by the sound of sirens.

Friends came to my house last night and drove that bridge. I'm grateful no one was killed, but it seems like it'll be a while before that road is reopened.
Scary and a close call! I haven't been to Pittsburgh since 1970. Can't remember if I crossed that bridge.

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
To make matters worse, they were planning on replacing the bridge on the Parkway that spans this same ravine. This was supposed to happen next year. But the main detour off the Parkway would have been on Pittsburgh surface streets and over this bridge that just collapsed. I don't see how they will be able to replace the Parkway bridge with this one out of commission. The Parkway is part of the Interstate, and there are truly few options to get over this ravine other than this collapsed bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.