Bridge Collapse in Pittsburgh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
So, anyone hear about this? A bridge collapsed on a major thoroughfare this morning. It is right by where I live. Due to the rivers and hilly terrain, there are more bridges in Pittsburgh than any other city in the world. Where we live in the East End, this is one of just three ways we can get to the rest of the city without getting on the Parkway.

Luckily, schools were on a two hour snow delay so there was very little traffic. In rush hour this bridge is filled with cars waiting for the stoplight at the bottom of the hill. The injury/death toll would have been catastrophic had this been the case.

Please keep this discussion about the bridge collapse. The discussion could devolve into politics because of a strange coincidence here in Pittsburgh today. But really, the story is about a major bridge collapsing.

The photos are deceiving. This is a tall bridge. You are at or above treetop level in the center of the bridge. It is a very steep and deep, but rather narrow ravine.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...ad-bidens-visit-talk-infrastructure-rcna13934

1643395325963.png

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Pretty awful, but the sort of news we're growing accustomed to. Hope the impacts to life and commerce are slight, but this is the state of things until.

1643395680504.png

1643395617568.png

billy logan

Tele-Holic
Decades back a bridge over the Ohio River collapsed. IIRC it turned out the structure of the bridge was fine, but the riverbed had been scoured away from underneath its supports. [edit: I imagine civil engineers have methods of checking the riverbed/soil a bridge rests on]

10 years ago this happened in Wise County, TX, northwest of Ft. Worth - little bridge over a little creek
1643396286500.png

72_Custom

Tele-Meister
I live near it too. My street is closed and they were evacuating homes because of a natural gas leak caused by the collapse. No one has knocked on my door, so I think all is good now. I didn't hear the collapse, but I was awoken this morning by the sound of sirens.

Friends came to my house last night and drove that bridge. I'm grateful no one was killed, but it seems like it'll be a while before that road is reopened.

ale.istotle

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
So, anyone hear about this? A bridge collapsed on a major thoroughfare this morning. It is right by where I live. Due to the rivers and hilly terrain, there are more bridges in Pittsburgh than any other city in the world. Where we live in the East End, this is one of just three ways we can get to the rest of the city without getting on the Parkway.

Luckily, schools were on a two hour snow delay so there was very little traffic. In rush hour this bridge is filled with cars waiting for the stoplight at the bottom of the hill. The injury/death toll would have been catastrophic had this been the case.

Please keep this discussion about the bridge collapse. The discussion could devolve into politics because of a strange coincidence here in Pittsburgh today. But really, the story is about a major bridge collapsing.

The photos are deceiving. This is a tall bridge. You are at or above treetop level in the center of the bridge. It is a very steep and deep, but rather narrow ravine.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...ad-bidens-visit-talk-infrastructure-rcna13934

View attachment 945442
That bridge is crazy high. I looked at the google maps from the walking path below and it's a long drop. Glad no fatalities and glad the kids were not in buses at the time.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I've been watching the reports. So very grateful no one was seriously hurt. Looking forward to hearing more reports on possible causes. It was only 50 years old, which doesn't seem old for a bridge.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Was that road a dirt road or something? It doesn't look like blacktop, but maybe it's how I'm looking at the pic? Wow... anyway glad no one was killed. It will be interesting to know what caused this to happen. I've been on some pretty scary bridges over the years. The scariest doesn't exist anymore but it was the old Charleston bridge that was built in the 1920's. That thing was a CRAZY scary bridge, with a 100 ft drop to the water below if I recall correctly. I white knuckled my steering wheel every time I had to go over that thing. Glad it's gone today and replaced with a modern bridge.

middy

Friend of Leo's
Say infrastructure one more time and I’ll report you to the mods. Bridges collapse. That’s what they do.
By definition that’s precisely the opposite of what they do. Oops, missed the sarcasm. :lol:

Boxla

Tele-Holic
very scary. There are definitely a few bridges that I cross regularly that scare me.

ale.istotle

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Was that road a dirt road or something? It doesn't look like blacktop, but maybe it's how I'm looking at the pic? Wow... anyway glad no one was killed. It will be interesting to know what caused this to happen. I've been on some pretty scary bridges over the years. The scariest doesn't exist anymore but it was the old Charleston bridge that was built in the 1920's. That thing was a CRAZY scary bridge, with a 100 ft drop to the water below if I recall correctly. I white knuckled my steering wheel every time I had to go over that thing. Glad it's gone today and replaced with a modern bridge.
The dirt you see is the ground under the bridge where it pulled away from the road surface. The bridge itself is concrete on steel frame. The fact that the decking held together probably saved lives. It looks like the structure under one end failed and the deck dropped in one piece to the ravine floor. If the deck had split mid-span this could have been worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.