1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bridge Assembly for Hipshot B Bender with Drop D Lever and G Palm Lever

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by 1ManBand, Mar 2, 2021.

1. 1ManBand

1ManBand TDPRI Member

I have to replace part or all of the bridge assembly on my Custom Tele to accommodate three, through strings for the 'Hipshot B Bender with Drop D Lever and G Palm Lever' my wife just got me for Birthday.

I have a standard set of 6 saddle's on there now with screws in the middle of saddles.

- I could replace 3 of the saddles with these off eBay:
    Titanium Gotoh In-Tune Compensated Saddles For Tele.

- I have an offset bridge and set off offset Graphtec String Saver saddles I might be able to make use of.

- My research though has me leaning a new top mount bridge and Titanium Gotoh In-Tune Compensated Saddles For Tele

Any other suggestions??

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  2. 1ManBand

1ManBand TDPRI Member

I had Picasso Violin and Grapes digitally transferred onto this Tokia/Tele body a couple years ago.

Attached Files:

3. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Go to the Bender forum, there's plenty of good info there - even some posts by Will Ray, the guy who helped develop the Hipshot bender.

- D

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The titanium compensated saddles are a great idea!
    I have em' on my avatar guitar.
    No more string saw-through/sitar-I got!

5. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

6. 1ManBand

1ManBand TDPRI Member

I saw that listing too and thought to maybe purchase an entire set so I looked for some reviews. I found Chase'sWKshop on YouTube where in one video he stated using them and then in another video Testing the String Saver String Through Saddle, B and G Bender String Through Saddle Give Away he stated sometimes 3 out of 6 saddles had the rollers locked up on arrival. Then in that video he said he's starting to use and is happy with Graphtec saddles with thru screws. I'm a Dual Citizen, from Canada now living in USA and back in the 90's when I got this Tele, I put a set of Graphtec saddles on cause friends were happy with them and they're made in Canada.

On this page, Chase has the Graphtec's string through saddle for sale for $15 with string through adjustment screw. I'm waiting on his reply.

I wonder where we could buy just "string-thru the adjustment screw's"?

7. low_fidelity2100

low_fidelity2100 TDPRI Member

They're Called "Vented Fasteners". You can find them on Amazon in various sizes, or get them directly from McMaster.

The problem is, to find one that will fit your current saddles/bridge, have a hole large enough to accommodate your string gauge, AND be made of a material that won't cause extreme wear on the string and thus cause extremely frequent string breakage.

Most vented machines screws you'll find in the correct size for your saddle, will have a through hole too small for anything larger than your B string. And even that will be difficult to find, pretty snug, and made of steel, which will all cause excessive string wear.

I've bought some of Chase's screw/saddles (the string saver version), and they're well worth the price. And a Much better solution than trying to make standard vented fasteners work.
    Have been using them on my tele with a hipshot (b bender + drop d lever). For Six months or so now, haven't broken a single string, even with excessive use of the bender. And they easily fit my heavy Low E string (52), and allow the drop lever to function as it should.

8. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

if your bridge has top loader holes, don't change a thing at first - get some silicone bicycle brake cable tubing (you can get it at amazon). It's just a small, thin, smooth and flexible tube. When you string your Bender strings rout them through the top load holes and drop a short piece of the brake cable tube in there, centered on the top loader holes, to ease passage of the string. That gives you a good break angle for the string and required no modification of the guitar. You might need the brake cable but if you rout through the top loader holes you are creating a point of friction and possible breakage point, problems which the cable eliminates.

9. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Oh, PS I just realized about the roller saddles. Totally unnecessary. I've had Hipshot benders on three teles, never with roller trees and never had any tuning or return to pitch issues. The break angle is too shallow to need them.

10. 1ManBand

1ManBand TDPRI Member

Thanks for replies. I decided on and ordered a top and bottom string loading Wilkinson ash tray bridge with 3 compensated brass saddles to replace the MIM style 6 saddle bridge I have PLUS I got a set of StewMac Titanium compensated saddles.

I've never had brass saddles on a Tele before, want to experience the sound and it was only only $10 more compared to just getting a new bridge plate. From what I've read, the titanium will be what I leave on long term.

I'll be installing next week and will post pics and follow up with how I feel about set up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.