Brian May's "Deacy" transistor amp

ArcticWhite

Tele-Afflicted
Fascinating, well produced, five minute video on YouTube. It only has about 3000 views but deserves many more.

This is the little amp that John Deacy, Queen's bassist found in a skip (dumpster) and resurrected as a practice amp. Brian May loved it, and used it regularly in the studio.

Here's the sound.

Last edited:

dougsta

Tele-Meister
Fascinating, well produced, five minute video on YouTube. It only has about 3000 views but deserves many more.

This is the little amp that John Deacy, Queen's bassist found in a skip (dumpster) and resurrected as a practice amp. Brian May loved it, and used it regularly in the studio.

Here's the sound.

It would help that John Deacon was also awarded a 1st Class Honours Degree in Electronics the same year he joined Queen and designed some modules in addition to the AC30 that gave Brian May his signature sound.

The guitar tech in this is very Spinal Tap but explains Brians stage setup

Lone_Poor_Boy

Tele-Afflicted
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Your average Joe Musician would have kept walking.

It would help that John Deacon was also awarded a 1st Class Honours Degree in Electronics the same year he joined Queen and designed some modules in addition to the AC30 that gave Brian May his signature sound.

The guitar tech in this is very Spinal Tap but explains Brians stage setup

TobyZ28

Tele-Meister
Look what I'm working on:
Toby-Deacy0.2.png
(First ever schematic -> Layout I've ever done.. lol)

ArcticWhite

Tele-Afflicted
I used to love the sound Brian May got, but now that I know it's a SS amp, I hate it :mad::mad::mad:
I know what you mean!
But it may make you feel better to remember this little amp uses five unobtainium germanium transistors for amplification, and some extremely esoteric transformers as well.
Germanium transistors are even more weirdly unpredictable than tubes!

thankyouguitar

Tele-Meister
My inspiration! I have spent many hours over the years hacking together radios and speakers I've found in the garbage into fantastic sustaining beasts because of this story. Excellent videos. Thank you for posting. I will now look into getting this replica....

edit: looks like I'm about 10 years too late! XD

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Man, what a killer range of clean to crunch! That rocks! And nicely played and demonstrated too.

I agree, that's the sound and the touch too! Great playing.

But I did notice that the guy doing the demo just in passing...

( note: and this always seems to be the case when folks are talking about other famous guitar players' signal chains- they glide over something that may be integral to their sound- like Angus Young or Rory Gallagher- it's NOT just guitar >amp...)

... says " Brian always used this with a Treble booster, which is what we are doing today.." ( right?)

This ( IMO) is no trivial bit of information, as doesn't using one of these greatly influence how the amp is going to sound?

What do things sound like w/o using the Treble booster?
I've never used one, but aren't they really powerful, and greatly influence sound?
Just a curiosity

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
Yeah, I agree; he might have spent at least as much time on the treble booster’s effect on the sound as he did the variable voltage power supply.

TobyZ28

Tele-Meister
Where are you getting your transistors? I see the ones on Fleabay are coming from Bulgaria mostly.
Can you post your schematic?
Here is the best Schematic I've found so far - I'm going to pull the original radio schematic for the Supersonic PR80, compare and adjust as needed:
upload_2021-9-30_8-53-58.jpeg

I literally whipped the layout up yesterday more to just get a feel if its a feasible circuit for me to do. I did some light research on sourcing those Germanium Transistors and have also only seen the Russian equivalent's on eBay as well.

If I go ahead with the build, my goal is not to replicate Deacy exactly, it's more a fun project to see where I get to keeping things as close to spec as possible but not worrying too much if something is a little out of alignment.

I'm not too worried about the transformers, but yea getting the right unobtanium transistors seems like it will a bit of an impossibility and may make or break my amp..

Attachments

• upload_2021-9-30_8-59-1.jpeg
    upload_2021-9-30_8-59-1.jpeg
    34.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

ArcticWhite

Tele-Afflicted
I agree, that's the sound and the touch too! Great playing.

But I did notice that the guy doing the demo just in passing...

( note: and this always seems to be the case when folks are talking about other famous guitar players' signal chains- they glide over something that may be integral to their sound- like Angus Young or Rory Gallagher- it's NOT just guitar >amp...)

... says " Brian always used this with a Treble booster, which is what we are doing today.." ( right?)

This ( IMO) is no trivial bit of information, as doesn't using one of these greatly influence how the amp is going to sound?

What do things sound like w/o using the Treble booster?
I've never used one, but aren't they really powerful, and greatly influence sound?
Just a curiosity
The weakness of the Deacy is that of many small amps - it farts out the bass. The treble booster gets that under control.
Treble boosters are one of the simplest and earliest pedal circuits, so there's not much more to say about it, other than you need to use one with the Deacy.

Last edited:

ArcticWhite

Tele-Afflicted
Here is the best Schematic I've found so far - I'm going to pull the original radio schematic for the Supersonic PR80, compare and adjust as needed: View attachment 904466

I literally whipped the layout up yesterday more to just get a feel if its a feasible circuit for me to do. I did some light research on sourcing those Germanium Transistors and have also only seen the Russian equivalent's on eBay as well.

If I go ahead with the build, my goal is not to replicate Deacy exactly, it's more a fun project to see where I get to keeping things as close to spec as possible but not worrying too much if something is a little out of alignment.

I'm not too worried about the transformers, but yea getting the right unobtanium transistors seems like it will a bit of an impossibility and may make or break my amp..
I agree on all counts.
I've been thinking about building one out of an old radio, and just using whatever is in there. As long as you're using a germanium based circuit you should get something interesting.
And I've never been interested in replicating someone else's precise tone anyway!

Edit: The treble booster seems pretty important however. I'd probably include one in the same box.