Brian May channels his inner Liam Gallagher... 'Is this going to get ugly'?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by marc2211, Feb 14, 2020.

1. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    micpoc, Kriticaster and Squittolo like this.
  2. danlad

danlad Tele-Meister

When someone who has dealt with paparazzi longer than I've been alive (I'm not young) and who comes across as a chilled, thoughtful sort of fellah loses it you have to think they wilfully crossed some lines there

3. 650thunderbird

650thunderbird Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Good on him!

Torren61 and Fretting out like this.
  4. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Not sure about the laws in OZ, but here in the U.S. if you can see it from a public place, you can photograph it, not sure why a guy who makes his living off of the public's interest is so concerned all of a sudden. Especially at 72 years of age, he should be a bit more mellow about this stuff.

5. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I can see it from both sides
    Maybe he was just having an off day

It does suspiciously look like baiting by the guy with the camera that Brian played into that’s probably exactly what the camera guy wanted to happen
    It it was me filming and after I put the news camera down and was taking a “personal video” I would have respected him enough to not film if he asked me

Yes it’s probably a public place but have respect

650thunderbird and RoyBGood like this.
  6. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Meister

Looks like a tired, grumpy old man attacking a cameraman before being ushered away by his handlers. In all seriousness Brian should have known better. He's a public figure and this looks to be a public place. Plus the fact that Brian has been playing this game (no pun) for a very long time - he knows all too well how it works. It just looks like he's showing his age and dropped the ball.

Skully likes this.
  7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Wait, isn’t this 2020?

Isn't 2020 the year we get a break from the lesser Jimmy page?

Who had that band long long long ago and he’s just been archiving/wringing every dollar out of it?

Well, both of them actually…

so whatever that dude with the Versailles haircut is doing? Don’t feel the need to post it here...

Bones likes this.
  8. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

Wow. Lotta hate, i would be curious as to your contribution to music?

9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I guess May doesn't travel with a bunch of burly bodyguards that he can sic on paparazzi.

10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Kinda embarrassing actually...

...I style his hair ! :oops:

Bones and Rev Rhythm like this.
  11. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

That doesn’t mean that you should.

micpoc and richiek65 like this.
  12. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Holic

Personal opinion-
    Yes, a celebrity has to accept to some extent, that this is a fact of life.
    But I can also see where trying to be a cool dude and chat gracefully with some fan, especially some kid, while the press just wont back off.... Must get really old. And frustrating.
    I am of the opinion that the press has long ago gotten out of hand. If they get asked even once, to back off or stop, they should honor the request. If they cant, then this kind of thing will often be the result.
    I would surely lose my temper under the circumstances. Or crawl in a hole and never appear in public.

13. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Apparently there is some context missing from this video. People who have seen or heard about the full situation have all said he was fully provoked.

Given the nature of the man in general and the lack of any / many other situations like this I suspect it was coming to the guy and would back Brian.

If your going to act like a dick, you will get treated like a dick.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  14. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Well, somebody can say that fame includes this kind of invasion by photojournalists, but at 72 years of age, enough is enough sometimes.

15. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wow. That’s pretty harsh. You having a grumpy old man day, too?

16. Torren61

Number one, I’ve never seen him do anything like that before. He’s always been the consummate gentleman and that’s one thing that’s always impressed me about him.

Number two, what happened leading up the the incident?

Number three, no one is perfect and anyone can have a day where they just don’t feel like being a nice guy a second longer. I’ve had days like those.

Maybe he shouldn’t have behaved like that but it’s hardly fair to compare him to Liam Gallagher, who acts like that most of the time. The man is in his seventies and you can’t cut him a bit of slack when no one got hurt and nothing got broken? He was being grumpy. Shame on you Brian! Shame on you!

marc2211 likes this.
  17. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

If you read his instagram posts you can see why he was kind of mad...

"No – I'm not all right. But I will be. It certainly ruined my day, and if that's what you wanted, Channel 7, then you got it.

"There's a fine line between anger and depression, and I've been struggling with all of that since I got ambushed and harrassed by a TV News team, fresh off the plane from New Zealand. Now, obviously I'm not a novice at this … I've interacted with literally thousands of news reporters, photographers and cameramen over the last 50 years. I'm not exactly known for being aggressive, even in the face of provocation, but this guy caught me unawares – one of the rudest and most disrespectful video cameramen I've ever encountered.

"As we drove out of the airport, I noticed a small group of young kids with QUEEN albums, waving a welcome. I find it hard to just drive by in a case like this. Yes, they could have been pesky e-bay hounds just looking to make a quick buck, but these guys looked like very genuine fans. This stuff still matters to me. So we stopped the car and I got out to sign their QUEEN material, and they kindly gave me gifts of typically Australian goodies. Lovely. Pressed up against the kids was a guy with a huge TV camera. I'd noticed him, obviously, but I had no idea who he was – whether he was part of the party of kids, or a third party. I just let him film for the few moments I was signing the albums. But these kids were clearly very moved by the meeting, and I felt they deserved to have a few moments NOT being filmed for public sharing. So, in the nicest possible way, I turned to the cameraman and asked if he'd stop filming, now he'd got his story, and give us some private moments. He refused. He kept on filming, and aggressively turned the camera close-up on my face. That, to me, felt like deliberate invasion of my space, and downright unfriendly. At that moment, everything changed.

"I asked the cameraman at least two more times to put the camera down, and so did the kids. One of them said 'I've waited half my life to meet Brian and I don't want it to be spoilt by you'. The guy carried on filming, and then I told him firmly to put the camera away, or else this would turn into an ugly incident. Finally, he pointed the camera upwards, and it was fairly obvious it was still turned on, recording sound. Now it takes quite a lot to get me rattled, but I was beginning to boil. Everyone has a tipping point, I think ? I carried on talking to the kids, trying to ignore the invasive presence, but he then pulled out his iPhone and began to film us with that. That was the final straw for me. I headed towards him with the intention of temporarily separating him from his phone, and actually put a hand on it, before my security guy gently dissuaded me. And then I realised I had walked straight into a trap. The guy now had what he wanted. He could cook this up into a story in which I was portrayed as an attacker on an innocent victim of a newsman. He possessed the only footage of the incident, so he or his bosses could edit it any way they wanted, to make me look like I lost my rag for no reason. And that, predictably, is exactly what Channel 7 did. They could have run a story about how we'd come over preparing to do our bit for Fire Fight Australia next week, or about the upcoming massively sold-out show in Brisbane, or even about how we'd had a nice welcome from some fans at the airport. But no … they ran the 'story' with a smug introduction about Brian May 'attacking' a cameraman, followed by a cunningly edited version of the footage he'd shot, in which I come across as an aggressor.

"I regret getting angry, but angry I was, under what I regard as severe provocation, and to me the behaviour of the camera guy and the Channel 7 News Team is shabby and shameful. I'd like an apology from them all, but of course the chances of that are small. I don't know whether it was all a set-up from the beginning – maybe so – or whether he just deliberately acted like an arse to create a story, but either way, I've had a struggle not to feel abused and unwelcome. I'm sensible enough to know the vast majority of folks here are not in any way like this.

"I spent the afternoon today with my cousins, naturalised Aussies for the last 45 years, and felt massive warmth. And lots of you figured out how ****ty I must be feeling and reached out to me … I'm eternally grateful. I've always loved Queensland, and that will never change … had some of the best times of my life on the Barrier Reef, and cried buckets seeing the tragedy of the Koalas and Kangaroos in the recent fires.

"Tonight I still feel bruised, but finally being able to write this is a kind of therapy. I had to make my side of the story known. Being disrespected so publicly takes a little while to get over. But now it's over. And tomorrow morning I will get up and do my preparations, with intent to give one of the best performances of my life, fuelled by new lessons learned, and a determination to make the best out of all this. And a detrmination to give our wonderful fans in Brisbane the best night of their lives !!! See ya there !

"Bri

"P.S. I'm in touch with Cooper Simmons, the young lad you see in the photo. Both he and his parents have been very supportive, and highly critical of Channel 7's behaviour. But I haven't been able to trace the other fans … send me message if your read this, guys."

Mad Kiwi, richiek65 and Torren61 like this.
  18. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

I was joking about the Liam bit, for me it was obvious that it is so out of character - I was hoping people would see the irony :)

Torren61 likes this.
  19. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Okay, here's the full Story:

Brian was there to greet some fans when a camera crew turned up and began filming the whole deal. Brian said a couple of times to leave them alone, this was just a fan greeting, no need for them to film it.

But the camera guy kept on returning, at which Brian said "Is this really necessary, put the camera away, please."

So the camera was put away but out came the cell phone and Brian couldn't stand it any longer "Ah so you think you're so clever eh?"

THAT is what happened, the camera guy was rude and after having been given polite warnings from Brian refused to listen.

Mad Kiwi and Torren61 like this.
  20. Torren61

What a class act!

richiek65 and FLHT like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.