1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Brent's thumb pick

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by bjb814, Feb 10, 2007.

1. bjb814

bjb814 TDPRI Member

Hello, does anyone know what brand and thickness Brent Mason's thumbpick is? I am amazed at the beginning of "Hot wired" how he is able to double the strokes on the top E without breaking the string. I am using one of the speed picks trimmed down to where it is fairly close to my thumb but still can't seem to get the speed out of it to double and triple strike a single string like you would with a standard flat pick without feeling like i am going to snap the string in half!!! Just curious if anyone knew of another brand that was fairly flexible and not so stiff. Thanks, BJ Brown

2. TruckDrivin'Man

TruckDrivin'Man Tele-Meister

Fred Kelly Bumble Bees

I like the Fred Kelly Bumble Bee thumb picks - they come in light, medium and heavy. They are also adjustable as to the position of the pick (you can get it closer to your thumb or set it on an angle,etc.). The size of the pick itself is similar to the Dunlop Jazz III flatpicks. Good stuff.

3. gtech

gtech Friend of Leo's

4. RelicStrat

RelicStrat Tele-Meister

I'm pretty sure Brent uses the blue Herco flatpick/thumbpick. Herco Thumbpicks

5. transmaniacon

transmaniacon Tele-Holic

Hi, just wondering which bit of Hot Wired you mean?
    if it's the part that sounds like (the notes) A, G, E on the top string i think (and i could be wrong) that it is played like:-

E-----5---0---
    B-------8---

where the first note (A on the E string) is picked with a finger,
    the 2nd note (G on the B string) is plucked with the pick/thumb pick
    and the open E is plucked with a finger (usu either 2nd or 3rd finger)
    thats how i (attempt to ) play it......
    YMMV.....

steve

6. bjb814

bjb814 TDPRI Member

Hello, I Was Referring To The Opening Intro On The Hot Licks Video Where He Is Doing The "hot Wired" Song Off The Cd But The Intro Is Different From The Cd Recording. He Is Using The Low E On The Fifth Fret But He Is Really Really Fast On The Low E Using The Thumb Pick. I Have Found This To Be Extremely Hard To Do With The Pick I Use Which To Me Still Seems Pretty Flexible. I Guess It Is All In The Technique. I Just Wondered If He Was Using A Really Thin Thumbpick Or Else A Super Gauge Low E String!!!

7. HC

HC Tele-Holic

I think he's alternating between an A-note on the E-string(5th fret) and the open A-string for that intro lick, picking the E-string with the thumb-pick and the A-string with one of the other fingers. You can get it really fast that way.

Hope this helps. :D

8. allen st. john

allen st. john Friend of Leo's

Wayne Henderson uses the Blue Herco too. Wayne plays in a very distinctive style, playing flatpicked style fiddle tunes using a thumbpick and fingerpicks, using his thumb for downstrokes and his index finger for up strokes.
    The rather soft Herco gives him a good balance between his thumb and fingers. It also allows for good tone when playing boom-chuck bluegrass style rhythm. Historians will note that Lester Flatt started out using a thumb and fingerpick for his groundbreaking rhythm sound.

best
    Allen

9. bender72

bender72 Tele-Holic

I believe he uses this pick most of the time. I've seen him use others, but mainly, this type.:cool:

10. bender-freak

bender-freak Friend of Leo's

you are correct..

this be the type i see him use the most and is the type i prefer, other than i take a file and sandpaper and put almost a "spearpoint" on them...seems to work best for me

11. transmaniacon

transmaniacon Tele-Holic

12. Grin'n'pick

Grin'n'pick Friend of Leo's

What bender72 and bender-freak said, the Herco Flex 52 thumbpick! I tried them too, out of all the thumbpicks I ever tried (which was a lot) you could see why these are so popular. Chet Atkins used them too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.