Brent Mason

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by CountryJim, Nov 25, 2014.

1. CountryJim

CountryJim TDPRI Member

Hello Folks,

I have recently revamped my rig.
    I bought a PedalTrain1 and have been adding pedals to it like there is no tomorrow!
    I play a Fender Telecaster Hot Rod '52. I am about to change the bridge pickup to either a Seymour Duncan Five Two or a Stack.
    I am unsure which to go for and none of my local shops have any guitars in store with them so I can not try before I buy.
    I am looking to get that well known, much loved Brent Mason country tone.
    I have read that the 'Five Two' will give me this however, I am aware that Brent uses a stack so any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
    I am aware that 80% of your tone comes form your own fingers...there is no issue with this...I am a professional guitarist. I can get really close to the tone I am looking for but feel a change of pickup will give me that 'lift' I am looking for.

As far as pedals go, here is my gear;

MXR Super Comp
    BBE Boosta Grande
    Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
    Wampler Hot Wired
    Wampler Faux Analog Echo
    Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble

I am also thinking of adding a BBE Sonic Stomp. Anybody know much about them?
    I heard Brent talking about the Creation Audio Labs MK.4.23 which he says really expands you tone. Has anybody got much experience with these pedals?

I am running these into a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with Weber Attenuator between the speaker and preamp.

Could anybody give me suggestions on how best to set up these pedals. I am aware that different configurations can give different results so I have been messing around but I would really appreciate so other points of view.

At the moment I have this set up:

Guitar > MXR Super Comp > Boosta Grande > NS-2
    Then I take the send of the NS-2 > Hot Wired > CE-5 > Faux Echo > NS-2 return > NS-2 out > Amp

All comments/advice welcome!

Kind regards,
    CountryJim.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2014
  2. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's

Welcome aboard!

Pickups are always hit or miss....what sounds good for one player won't for another. With tele pickups especially, messing with the height can dramatically affect the sound. If you haven't already, you may want to experiment a bit before looking into pickup changes. (consider speaker upgrades as they affect your tone far more than pickups)

It looks like you have some nice gear.

I was wondering about the noise suppressor as nothing in your list stands out as a typical noise contributor. Unless you're playing high gain metal, noise suppressors are usually unnecessary. Are you experiencing a noise problem?

3. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome CountryJim!
    Might I suggest this pedal for great country twang...[​IMG]
    It sounds so good with a Tele bridge pickup!

4. burtonfan

burtonfan Tele-Afflicted

It looks as if you have a similar set-up to mine, right down to the guitar. The Wampler choice is a great one. Like you, I had the MXR Super Comp and dumped it for the Wampler Ego Comp... it was well worth it! I highly recommend you do the same. :D

5. tonedreamer

tonedreamer Tele-Holic

A lot of his tone comes from a middle pickup that's "bled" in with a separate volume knob. You wont ever get it with just the bridge pup. I'm in the process of doing the middle pup mod, I'll let you know how it turns out. It's supposed to add just a little out of phase quack, but not as much as a strat, 5 way switch would. Hope this helps

6. CountryJim

CountryJim TDPRI Member

I do experience some background hiss so the NS-2 takes it away.
    To be honest I would rather do without it.

7. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Define lift. I think you are looking for something that only you will know when you find...

8. CountryJim

CountryJim TDPRI Member

Yes I looked at the Brent Mason loaded pickguard.
    It's the same mini humbucker at neck, strategic in middle and stack at bridge.
    3 knows and 5 way control.
    Thought it to be too big a modification of my guitar. £££

ForumRunner_20141125_221054.jpg

9. CountryJim

CountryJim TDPRI Member

Just that extra punch that will cut through the mix.
    Sonic Stomp may do the trick...

10. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Its basically a two band EQ (50Hz / 5kHz) that lets you do some boosting. This may or may not work depending on your rig. If you crank both, you are scooping your tone. Used judiciously, you might find a neat tone or two in there.

11. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

It's pretty hard to beat the modified broadcaster pickup that comes in the hot rod.. iirc Brent has a Hot Rod with the stock pickup.

12. CountryJim

CountryJim TDPRI Member

Would you recommend staying with the stock pickup then?
    I had just read that the STL-52 was developed for that 'Nashville' sound!

13. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I've never thought about replacing it.. Polarity & wind is reversed to match up with the neck and it's hotter than the standard broadcaster..

14. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

The Nash 5/2's are some of my favorites, but I wouldn't consider them necessary for either "a Nashville sound" or "Brent's sound."

The truth be told, the 5/2's are IMO kind of subtle, and probably someone won't really get "the most" out of them unless they run the treble up pretty high on their rig.

I just happen to like SD pickups that are "sort of standard Fender spec" - e.g. nothing too wacky in one direction or another. The N5/2's (including their Strat model, that I use as a neck pickup in at least one of my Teles) just tend to have a great consistent Tele sound, IMO.

I think that Brent also uses other SD models, and at some point I thought I read of him using a SD stack at the bridge.

...IMO, with most of his gear, I think "just ballparking it" is good enough. If you've ever seen the YouTube stuff with him A/B/C'ing just some of the Xotic stuff (EP Booster, RC Booster, etc. IIRC) - he can really kind of eke the tones he wants or needs out of just about anything. I know others will beg to differ, and I REALLY don't mean for this to be about pedals only - you could extend this to his entire rig.

But the thing about adding the middle pickup and just blending in a touch? IMO those are probably some of the "devil's in the details" sort of aspects, for certain. You can't fake those kind of characteristics with pedals, IME. Ballpark? Maybe.

15. MASONish

MASONish Tele-Holic

.11 is right. Brent will sound the same pretty much on any setup, guitar, or rig.

Why not purchase both pickups? They are cheap. Could buy both for around $100

I can tell you from owning both that the 5/2 will be very balanced. The high-end is a bit softer on the 5/2's. The STK-T3B is a very good pickup, and quiet! It's what my signature guitar has in it. I prefer it over the 5/2. But that's my preference. It certainly delivers the goods.
    Good luck!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.