1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Brent Mason Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Kris 1111, Nov 1, 2020.

1. Kris 1111

Kris 1111 TDPRI Member

T Prior, could you take a photo to see how high your pickups are?

2. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

I guess I could but it may not relate to your guitar and setup. I recommend just putting them BOTH on and adjust the mid pup a tad higher and and maybe the bridge PUP a tad lower, and listen , you will hear the sweet spot. I took tehpickhuard off while adjusting.

I also play with fingers, no picks. There is a slight reduction in over volume by doing this

Kris 1111 likes this.
  3. Staytuned

Staytuned TDPRI Member

Kris 1111 likes this.
  4. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I'm glad to see that some of you who are waiting are finally getting your guitars, and that your dealers are honoring the 2020 price that it was ordered at!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    Kris 1111, T Prior and gregjhonda like this.
  5. gregjhonda

gregjhonda Tele-Meister

Yeah it really THAT good of a guitar. Gonna leave mine as a B bender as I have a B and G B&W bender on another Nashville tele. The Glaser bender system is super smooth. The nut height is good enough to leave as is and the neck bow is perfect out of the case (about .005"). Gonna swap out the 10 strings in a few days for 9's. Frets are smooth and no high spots. Gonna keep my two tele benders, one Strat and one PRS and sell the other 19 guitars to just keep the players.

Update: Put 009' - 042" Elixir Nanowebs on the guitar, took off pick guard (easy to completely remove) to get to the truss rod adjustment, adjusted truss rod for new strings and touched up Glaser puller for new string gages. Plays like a dream, no string buzz. All strings are .060" at 12 the fret. Almost seems like the guitar neck was Plek'ed. Didn't need to raise the low string up at all. It plays clean at .060"!

Since I only play sitting down, I backed way off on the Glaser tension to make the B string pull easy. Playing while sitting down it's easy to take all the tension off the guitar strap when not wanting to pull the B string as the guitar is resting on my knee.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  6. DoubleJ

DoubleJ TDPRI Member

I can't wait to get my hands on this guitar! I ordered it last week and was told it would be in store the third week of April. Brent has been a guitar hero of mine since I first heard of him in the late 90's. I'm even selling my motorcycle to fund this purchase. I hope I don't regret that:)

T Prior likes this.
  7. T Prior

Ha ! You won't regret it ! Its a fine axe for sure, worthy to be in your hands ! :)

DoubleJ likes this.
  8. Nishplayer

Nishplayer TDPRI Member

Anybody interested in a Valley Arts Brent Mason Signature Custom Pro Grey, 2005 listed for sale at the 12th Fret in Toronto: .Valley Arts Brent Mason Custom Pro Grey 2005 - The Twelfth Fret (12fret.com). Only asking $2800 CDN OR $2219.58 USD. They ship worldwide too. (NOTE: I do not work for the 12th Fret....just a very satisfied customer....and thought this might be of interest.)

9. wesley7777

wesley7777 TDPRI Member

Two things that noticed about the middle pickup:

1) Mine does not have the Seymour Duncan logo on it, it is just flat with no markings on it at all. I see others have the logo on it.
    2) The middle pickup on its own is very low output compared to the others, I plan on raising it to get some more output. Has anyone else done this?

10. DoubleJ

DoubleJ TDPRI Member

It's a small detail but I sure hope mine will have the Seymour Duncan logo on the middle pickup. I wonder if that is one of the parts that was causing shipping delays and they had to find another source?

11. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Interesting - does it have the dark red cover or some other color?

I don't think Fender would have subbed out a pickup from a different manufacturer but I suppose that Duncan might have had an issue getting those red covers with the logo and subbed out blank ones. They haven't used those red covers in years - if not decades - and the current ones have either white or black covers that expose the single-rail "polepiece".

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  12. T Prior

Yes- I raised the MID PUP and lowered the Bridge PUP , I adjusted until I found a sweet spot. Remember these pups are supposedly wound to specs from near 30 years ago !

Regarding the PUP cover, very odd. Small detail but important especially as this is an exact copy of Brents Guitar. I would send a note to Fender questioning it.

IMG_0181.JPG

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  13. wesley7777

wesley7777 TDPRI Member

Looks just like your without the logo in the middle. I might email Fender and ask about it. I wonder if the new ones are missing this detail but it appears from the past listings on Reverb everyone had this detail.

14. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Meister

I don't think Fender thought an artist like Brent Mason's model would be so huge. I mean they have artists like HER who sell a bezillion records, and downloads, and they probably didn't expect the reaction people are giving the Brent Mason model.

15. gregjhonda

gregjhonda Tele-Meister

Received my guitar from SW 10 days ago. Middle pickup has a plain cover, no logo.

16. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

This sounds like a Seymour Duncan issue to me - they shipped the pickups to Fender with non-embossed covers, and of course these guitars were so far behind schedule that Fender decided to use them anyway.

Duncan hasn't used those red covers for years/decades, and Fender commissioned Duncan to recreate them for this guitar. Let me put it to you this way - would anyone who has a Mason with a plain cover have rather waited another 3-6 months for Duncan to get embossed covers from whomever their supplier was, or would you rather have the guitar in hand missing a minor detail and try to have either Fender or Duncan send you an embossed cover at a later date?

Or would you rather have had them sub in a current Duncan Hot Stack that looks like this instead of the non-embossed cover:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By the way the replicas already deviate from Brent's original by using a bridge pickup with the "Seymour Duncan" logo on it; the original has a pickup that predates Duncan's use of the logo.

17. gregjhonda

gregjhonda Tele-Meister

I'd be happy to eventually receive an embossed pickup at a future date. As crazy as it sounds, years from now there will be two resale prices for these guitars; the real one and the one without the period correct middle pickup.

T Prior and DoubleJ like this.
  18. T Prior

While of course a HOT RAILS is perhaps a better pup, its not the PUP thats on Masons guitar. The guitar is "billed" as an exact ARTIST replica. Greg is right, it needs to have the proper period correct PUP cover.

gregjhonda likes this.
  19. DoubleJ

DoubleJ TDPRI Member

Maybe if we are lucky, they will have only done a small batch with the flat covers which means they will be more rare and valuable in the future:)

John C, T Prior and gregjhonda like this.
  20. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

It is the same pickup; under the cover your middle pickup should have have that thick rail polepiece - Duncan just changed the cosmetics of the cover to expose it at some point. The Valley Arts Masons split the difference - red cover but exposed rail.

By the way your guitar is equally inaccurate because of the bridge pickup - Brent's Duncan bridge pickup does not have the "Seymore Duncan" logo on it - I'm 80% sure his pickup predates Duncan stamping their logo the pickup covers/bobbins, but of course it could have been rubbed off through use.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.