1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Brent Mason Tele arrived today

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by T Prior, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Maybe, maybe not. Anyone can buy the Duncan stuff and likely Glaser products as well over the counter. Not sure why you would need a contract for those other than to assure sufficient quantity. Besides, they both manufacture for use. Saying no to this seems foolish when you have an impeccable pitchman that is respected by everyone.

2. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

I think the string tree was placed there when he had a Whammy bar put in at one point. He hated the effect the whammy had and took if off, but I think the tree remains there from that mod.

3. Bernardo Gui

Bernardo Gui TDPRI Member

Aprox. 8 years ago, Crossroads Guitar Shop in Falls Church, VA built me a Brent Mason Tele. No B Bender. I named that guitar "Otis" & it's my #1 guitar that I play. It is conservatively the most versatile guitar that I own. This guitar covers ALOT of ground. The mini humbucker in the neck is truly amazing. The blend knob is really nice & the bridge pickup is smoking hot. I love this guitar & play it daily. It's great when I do gigs & gear hounds come look at my gear & they see that guitar & their jaws hit the ground. On gigs I run this guitar through a 100 watt PRS Archon. On the clean channel it sounds unreal. On the dirty channel it's got huge balls.

ChickenKiller and JJOVa like this.
  4. Bernardo Gui

Bernardo Gui TDPRI Member

20200809_141911.jpg

5. doblander

doblander TDPRI Member

If a man is having a drudgery day, all he has to do is focus his mind on that perfect telecaster for a moment. To realize that it's waiting at home. It's yours. And the spirits are lifted.

Mike M, Jake909 and That Cal Webway like this.
  6. chazeroo

chazeroo TDPRI Member

Or like those comments to online recipes: "I loved this, but instead of salt I used soy sauce, and instead of pasta I substituted rice, and since I'm not a big fan meat I only used the bones...."

Anyway, I covet that guitar, even the paint, but alas would never in a thousand years be able to exploit all of the features.

T Prior likes this.
  7. capt pearl

capt pearl Tele-Meister

Awwwkkkwwaaarrrrddd!

E5RSY likes this.
  8. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

"GOODY GUM DROPS" Brick Top. That quite a piece you've got there congratulations. knock'um dead !

T Prior likes this.
  9. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic

Congratulations on your fine new guitar.
    Lotsa stuff to negotiate, best wishes on that.
    Love the pickup configuration: sit back down, all you traditionalists.
    If the middle knob actually blends with the right subtlety, then I suppose it's worth the real estate.
    B-bender is beyond my capabilities, but I love it anyway.

T Prior likes this.
  10. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

LOL :) that's hysterical !

11. MASONish

MASONish Tele-Holic

My Mason Tele is “out for delivery”. Have tried to wait patiently on one that wasn’t almost 10 lbs. the first 5-6 I inquired about was 9.5-9.9lb range. Lucked out Tuesday and found one in Austin that’s 7lb 9oz. Will report back once it’s arrived and played.

JJOVa likes this.
  12. Dychotomy

Dychotomy TDPRI Member

I honestly wished I hadn't seen this thread. Brent's has always been one of my favorite country players and his tone through that old Bassman is extraordinary. He is one of three players I've molded my country playing style after when I transitions back over from rock/metal. I usually custom build and finish all of my own guitars, but I know it will only be a matter of days before I go find this one. I wonder how it will sound through a Z Wreck or 65 Deluxe Reverb.

//insert sarcasm//
    Thanks T Prior.

Ugh..... "Yer killin' me Smalls...."

Spooky88 likes this.
  13. pippoman

pippoman Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Right? Better dig in boy if you’re gonna gig out with it, especially if chris m is in the audience. Cool guitar bro! I’m envious!

14. pippoman

Did you tune a half step down? It should handle those strings fine.
    Edit: Nevermind. Just re-read your post.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  15. pippoman

Yeah, but 7.25 works great for a bow. Ask Jimmy Page. I had a Tele with a 7.25 and loved it. I may wind up buying it back. I prefer a 9.5, but that particular guitar was great.

16. Telefan65

Telefan65 Tele-Meister

I would love to see a Don rich issue or a Merle haggard 1953 BSB issue That would be swell!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    Fretting out likes this.
  17. T Prior

Thats rather curious, the spec weight is 8.2, how did " inquiries" come up with over 9.5 lbs ? How did stores come up with 5 to 6 in stock , pull them out of the cases and weigh them ? This is NOT a 9.5 or 9.9 lb guitar.

I never sated this but I ended up with TWO, one was shipped inadvertently, both arrived early in the week They are 25 s/ns apart, both weigh the same , on the bathroom scale, right at 8 lbs. +/- based on scale accuracy.

IF Fender is spec'ing 8.2 lbs , they are in for a HUGE problem if they weigh 9.5 or more lbs, ALL retail outlets would have to have FREE return shipping due to product dissatisfaction and false advertising, and Fender would have to accept all Guitars BACK to the factory. But they don't weigh 9.5 to 9.9 or more lbs, so its not going to be a problem.

and no I am not keeping two. My friend wants it, otherwise it will be sent back, all 8 lbs !

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  18. T Prior

HUH ??? Makes no sense. This is an artist series, based on the original guitar from 1967 . This wasn't a PRODUCTION MEETING concept sittin around drinking coffee. You're barking up the wrong tree.

Do you have any idea how many Telecasters had 7.25 neck profiles from the 50's leading up to 1967 ? Did Fender lose their shirt ( lost half the sales) on 52RI's ? Not hardly, How about 62 RI's ?

4 of my 5 Telecasters have 7.25 neck profiles. All factory guitars. I'm thinking Fender didn't lose any shirts at all !

The only deterring factor for this ARTIST SERIES guitar, if there is one, will be the $2499 price. Not the 7.25 radius !

For once, Fender finally made a TRUE Artist Series , not a "Well, its almost like the Artist " Series.

"Its exactly like the ARTISTS guitar , except the neck is different, the color is different and the PUPS are different, other than that, its exactly the same " ! :eek: Oh yeah, don't forget this one..."ts exactly like the Artists guitar except this one does not have a G Bender " Talk about a DEAL KILLER !

Its a 1967 guitar, built in 2020. Its not a 9.5 profile guitar, its not designed for everyone.

Erebia and Jake909 like this.
  19. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Anyone having a problem because a guitar's neck radius is 7 1/4" and not 9.5" clearly spends too much time on the internetS...

The "difference" is virtually non existent if the guitar is well set up.

Actually before the internetS the vast majority of players didn't give a rat's behind on the neck radius...

chumley1, teletail, Erebia and 3 others like this.
  20. T Prior

HA ! LOL :) Spot on Nick !

I gotta be totally honest, as a Tele picker since 1965, as a young teen I bought my 1st Tele from Rudy on 48th Street, NYC. He brought out 2 or 3 and I picked one. I didn't even know there was a NECK radius difference until the internet told me ! I probably became aware of spec differences in the 90's, somewhere around that time frame. And I didn't care either ! I don't recall anyone approaching me during my tenure asking.."hey man whats the neck profile on your tele " ? Actually over my 45 to 50 years of playing nobody has ever asked me, even today !

When friends got together to compare guitars, we said " hows the action" not WHATS the profile.

Today its kinda like a cultural movement. Many think of me as an old school fart, stuck on 7.25. Well, ok !

My only 9.5 Tele is an 08 but I swear if anyone picks it up they could not tell the difference between that guitar and the others. I didn't buy it because it was a 9.5 I bought it because I liked it and it was comfortable ! I didn't even know it was a 9.5, I didn't much care. It played just like my other guitars which are all 7.25.

For me its not the radius but rather the THICKNESS , front to back, of the neck. Many call it "the meat" or chunky, That far outweighs any profile for me, if its thick or chunky, it ain't for me, 9.5 or 7.25.

Ya see I'm an old school fart..evidently! :)

Nick Fanis and Chip like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.