1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Brent Mason style wiring

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Bard2dbone, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone Tele-Meister

Hey guys -

I have a Tele that I put three pickups into. They are a Duncan Vintage Hot Stack, a Cool Rails for Strat, and a Mini Humbucker. It got a five way switch and a blend circuit added, but I've never been satisfied with that circuit. And I'm pretty sure the pots are too high value, because the high end is super 'ice picky'.

So the other day I got to play a friend's Jaguar. And it hit me: The four way switching on the Jaguar is basically the four way on some Teles now, isn't it? (B, B + N parallel, N, B + N series) If I was to switch to that circuit with just a volume for the middle pickup, it would be a much more versatile guitar than it currently is.

So electronically, does it make the most sense the have the stacked pot be the volumes, with the B+N pickups on the bottom knob, and the middle pickup on the top knob? Then the tone is the regular pot.

Does this make sense, or am I just being stupid in a new way?

2. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone Tele-Meister

Hmmm...

It's been several days with no responses. I'm just trying to make sure there is no downside to putting one pickup volume on the top of a stacked pot and the other pickups on the bottom.

3. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone Tele-Meister

Well, if anyone cares, I've ordered the parts to change to a four way switch, a no-load tone, and a stacked concentric volume pot, planning for middle pickup to the top pot, and bridge and neck pickups to the bottom pot.

I expect it to be less ice-picky, and hopefully crazy versatile.

4. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

The Magic GOOGLE is your friend!
    Type in Brent Mason guitar wiring then hit images, Poof!:)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  5. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone Tele-Meister

It's 'Voilà!' But that was how I got the blend circuit that I'm disappointed in, by trusting the internet.

It turns out that Brent Mason has a few guitars done in various ways, so the blend might even be valid, technically. But mine wasn't properly effective. And the particular guitar of his that I was wondering about didn't have the blend.

But then again, even my pickup choices were just pretty close. I wasn't wanting to completely clone his guitar. I was just doing what he did, making a Tele as versatile as I could.

So a (mostly, sort of) traditional Tele set up with a volume only pot for the extra pickup is a pretty legitimate choice.

6. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

Sorry! 'VOILA!':)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.