1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Brent Mason Mod Tele - Routing question

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by kgguitarplayer, Sep 14, 2015.

1. kgguitarplayer

kgguitarplayer Tele-Meister

I'm thinking about doing a tele build with a Gibson mini-humbucker in the neck, a strat pup in the middle position and a tele bridge pup. Something similar to the Brent Mason mod. I'd like to buy a "cheap" tele and take the electronics out and put in what I want. My question is this: what telecaster out there can I buy that will allow me to drop in the desired pickups without having to do any additional routing on the body? Or is this possible? I wondered if the MIM nashville telecaster might work. I'm not sure how the neck position is routed in that guitar though. Any suggestions?

2. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

You might be in luck! A MIM Nashville body apparently looks like this;

[​IMG]

You might need to widen the neck area a tiny bit to accommodate the mounting lugs of the mini bucker.

Squier made the Vintage Modified SSH Telecaster;

[​IMG]

3. kgguitarplayer

Awesome, thanks! I'll look up the squier too. I have an extra bridge and saddles lying around the house that I might could put on it.

4. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

I have used Nashville bodies on a couple 3-pickup builds. No problems under the pickguard. If you are considering the Brent Mason wiring and a 3-knob control plate, you will need to remove some wood for a push-pull middle pot.

5. kgguitarplayer

Ok thanks, yes that's what I'm planning on doing. There are some pre-built mason mod wiring harnesses on ebay with control plate, knobs and completed wiring. Would you guys recommend those for someone who isn't that knowledgeable on wiring? I can handle a standard tele configuration but this seems pretty complex.

6. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

Could you pull it off with Strat wiring, or do you want to be able to switch in the middle pickup on all positions?

7. kgguitarplayer

I'd rather be able to blend in the middle pickup with the second volume control.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.