Breaking Bad fans: did you know about this???

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by thunderbyrd, Oct 8, 2019.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

all I needed to know! I will watch tomorrow night!

2. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Got it queued up for after work.

3. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Personally, I love "Dragnet"... the rhythms, the L.A.-ness of it. It's the father of virtually all the police procedurals we see on TV, including (and especially) the "Law & Order" franchise. "Dragnet" was one of the chief influences on the writing of James Ellroy (I actually dislike his writing, but like the idea of it), and the movie adaptation of "L.A. Confidential" is very "Dragnet," and not just because it has the obvious "Dragnet" stand-in TV show "Badge of Honor" as part of the storyline. For starters -- literally -- the opening narration/montage is obviously a take on "Dragnet"'s "This is the city..." openings, which I positively adore.

The 1967-1970 color version of "Dragnet" most of us are familiar with is actually a reboot, preceded by a black & white version that ran from 1951 to 1959 and a radio show. And the whole kit and kaboodle was heavily influenced, if not downright "borrowed," from the 1948 film "He Walked by Night," which featured "Dragnet" creator/star Jack Webb in a supporting role. Trivia note: Peggy Webber, the actress who played Joe Friday's mother on radio and numerous roles on the TV shows, is still alive at the age of 94.

What would you think if they brought back "Dragnet" today?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    Wildcard_35, getbent and thunderbyrd like this.
  4. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Holic

I'm aware, and I've seen a few reruns and it was a better show. Webb wasn't the wooden stick figure he became later; he actually got in fist fights and was capable of chasing & catching bad guys. A street cop like the Adam-12 guys. Only in 50's noir.

Pretty sure I've seen that in the distant past. What I really got a kick out of was young Jack's scenes in "Sunset Boulevard", where he was a hyper, partying fool!
    As a fan I'm sure you know about the Jack Webb-Julie London-Bobby Troup 3-way business in Emergency! And Jack's career as a recording artist.

The Dan Aykroid version was pretty decent.

Flakey likes this.
  5. Skully

I've tried to like the '50s version. I'm liking it a little more, but it's just too slow. More smoky jazz than the bright pop rock of the '60s version. Man, in the '50s version they just shoot suspects in the back, without blinking, and the Miranda Warning didn't get established until the year before the show returned in '67.

It's worth noting that a police dragnet has long been deemed a big no-no/violation of the Fourth Amendment in the U.S. I can't recall any dragnet's in "Dragnet," but in "He Walked by Night," they do a police dragnet and say the word dragnet about 10 times in the first 15 minutes.

Yes, and Troup has a significant role in rock history as the co-writer of the song "Route 66."

A friend recently pointed out to me that Webb's character is the only good, morally-upright person in "Sunset Boulevard," which, btw, is probably my favorite movie of all time. When I first moved to L.A., I lived not far from the site of the home used for the exterior of Norma Desmond's mansion, which was not on Sunset Blvd., but off of Wilshire Blvd. in the neighborhood of Hancock Park. I was unaware how close it was, but the point was moot, because it had long since been bulldozed by the time I arrived in the fall of '86.

Yes, some people think it was mocking Webb and Friday, but it was actually a pitch-perfect comic tribute, clearly done with deep knowledge and love.

Pointmonger and Wildcard_35 like this.
  6. christhee68

christhee68 Friend of Leo's

I just finished watching it. I always liked Pinkman because he’s seemed like he was a good guy deep inside and even though he wanted to get out of the business, he kept getting sucked back in.

It wasn’t a riveting suspenseful crime drama, but it was good to see what became of Jessie.

And it also leaves the door wide open for a new series based on Jessie’s new life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rev Rhythm likes this.
  7. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Holic

I'd like to see how Skyler makes out - with the cops, the deals, the social pariah business & all that. AND WILL SHE LOVE AGAIN? :oops: That could be an hour-long show...maybe even evolve it into a sitcom with a policeman boyfriend & a nutty neighbor...and of course the emotionally disturbed sister. HAH! I'm laughing already!

And how does Los Pollos Hermanos end up becoming Twisters and how do they stay in business with meh-burritos, trash all over the tables & floor, overflowing trash bins right in front of the counter at 11 AM with only 2 customers in the place? I know of which I speak!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    Wildcard_35 likes this.
  8. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

Jesse was not disliked, where did you get those silly ideas?

9. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm watching the Robert Forster scene. RIP bud.

10. staxman

staxman Tele-Holic

Perhaps I should have used the word "some" instead of "many"--as represented by several of the anti-Jesse posts I read earlier in this thread. I personally love the show and all of its characters.

11. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

Just finished watching. Can't say it was great but to me it stayed true to the show and was worth watching. I liked it.

12. getbent

2 things, I'd love it and isnt that 911 show the extenstion--> dragnet, adam 12, emergency, chips, airwolf, probably a couple others, and now 911

Last... I kinda thought Robert Duvall was the modern Jack Webb in Colors... unfortunately he had Sean Penn (pacman) as a partner.

Flakey and Skully like this.
  13. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

I watched it yesterday. Thought it was really good.

I saw El Camino and Joker yesterday. It was a delightful dark movie day.

I feel cheerful this morning. Go figure.

bender66 and jannodude like this.
  14. Skully

I have to finally watch "Colors." I think "Adam-12" was effectively updated with "Southland," a series you recommended to me that I finally watch in its entirety via Hulu about two years back. Michael Cudlitz, the actor portraying the senior officer, even looked like a modern update of "Adam-12" star Martin Milner.

I haven't seen "9-1-1." I assume that would fill the update of "Emergency!" slot. I was never into "Emergency!" as a kid and I failed to get into it when it was available via the major streamers, but I plan to give it another try if it shows up again. I never really watched "Adam-12" as a kid, either, but I streamed the show in its entirety a few years back when it was available on Hulu and loved it.

And I'm gonna try to watch "El Camino" tonight! When "Breaking Bad" was on, it took several tries before I got into the series. I basically had to power through the first season before it picked up for me.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    getbent likes this.
  15. getbent

southland! forgot about that! 911 has a chunky jennifer love hewitt... and the guy from the hbo show about the funeral home family....

I love adam 12 as a kid... malloy was kind of who I wanted to be when I grew up...

Skully likes this.
  16. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Lol.

Watching it now, I am getting the Heisenberg willies flashbacks...

17. getbent

we watched it last night. I think vince gilligan has as hard a time as we do letting these characters go. I really enjoyed the film as did my wife. we talked more about it this morning... it is interesting how most of these people are way out of the sphere I live in and yet, I identify with many of them. I would never have the raw gall to do the things that many of them do and it makes for anxious watching while the story unfolds...

If you loved the series, you'll love it. If you don't know much about it, maybe not.

ifallalot likes this.
  18. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

I will enjoy it tomorrow

19. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

%100

20. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Meister

Watched it today. Totally worth the time. Aaron Paul is a pretty damn good actor.

getbent likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.