1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Break in speaker w/ radio?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Primo Don, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Primo Don

Primo Don Tele-Meister

Would anyone advise against this?

I'm about to replace the speaker in my amp and to break it in faster, I had the brilliant :rolleyes: idea of running a signal from the headphone jack of my stereo to an input on the amp and just let it play through it for a while.

Am I going to blow anything up? Hmm... Adam

2. Ben Harmless

Ben Harmless Friend of Leo's

Maybe if it's a very low wattage speaker. How much juce can your headphone jack put out? You usually want to get your new speaker really moving to help with the breaking process.

3. Tremo

Tremo Banned

That will work just fine. The only thing is you need to turn it up to really exercise the speaker to break it in quickly. Hope all the neighbors like the station you listen to!!

The more bass heavy the material, the quicker it will break in. Long cone excursions is want you want.

4. Primo Don

Primo Don Tele-Meister

I have a rack mounted amplifier I use to monitor on the computer, an Alesis 150wx2 channel amp. I didn't want to sent the guitar amp's preamp too much juice. Maybe go straight to the power amp and bypass the preamp...or better yet, plug the guitar speaker directly into the rack amp?

I can always use my Eminem collection to get the bass pumping through it! "...I'm Slim Shady..."

Adam

5. Synchro

Synchro Tele-Meister

Is this the new DRRI?

The best way to break in a speaker is to play Johnny B. Goode, Folsom Prison Blues and anything else that gets requested at the local VFW. After a few nights your eyes will glaze over but the speaker will sound good to you. :)

6. Big Cookie

Big Cookie RIP

Speaker break in

20 minutes on an AC filament transformer works quite well.
    If you desire a slower break in try 20-40 hrs of ZZ Top's Greatest Hits at high volume.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.