Brass Saddles

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Shiloh77, Sep 13, 2020.

1. tm1303

tm1303 Tele-Meister

Pretty sure they should be solid brass.

2. tm1303

tm1303 Tele-Meister

I dunno, the tone isn't brighter line you'd expect from fresh strings. It's much fuller, warmer, rounder (but without being duller).

Shiloh77 likes this.
  3. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

That’s what I thought. I might have gotten taken. Bought them off reverb. 20$
    Pretty sure they’re just plated because they stick to a magnet.

4. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

Brass has been used throughout the years but has fall out of favor. I like brass, myself. Since you bring it up, I'm surprised brass isn't used more. I've got two guitars with brass bridges.

My '52 AVRI came with brass saddles and it sounds perfect as is. Just as Leo intended. When a guitar sounds and plays that good, I wouldn't change a thing on it.

I've also got a '69 Gibson 335 that has a Starz Guitars Brass Mass bridge on it. The original bridge had tone-killing plastic saddles so I was looking for a replacement and tried the brass bridge because I wanted more sustain. That was 40 years ago and other than routine adjustments I haven't touched a thing on that guitar. It has a ton of sustain maybe more than my Les Paul and a clear ringing tone. I have the original bridge and there were no permanent mods to the guitar so it fits on the original posts. If I sell it I'd keep the brass bridge and use it on another guitar.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    Shiloh77 likes this.
  5. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I just switched from brass to threaded steel because they were supposed to be a bit brighter sounding. This Tele was a bit dull sounding compared to my other one. The difference was very subtle. Changing string brands made a little more difference. Finally I changed the bridge pickup and now it’s more where I want it. I like the look of the threaded steel on this particular Tele, so I’ll leave them, but if you are looking to change a Tele’s tone, saddles aren’t going to be very dramatic.

rich815 and Shiloh77 like this.
  6. Chandlerman

Chandlerman TDPRI Member

Brass Knuckle

[​IMG]

preactor and zippofan like this.
  7. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

Nope- not brass if they stick to magnet- Steel.

Non-ferrous metals like aluminum, brass, copper, zinc don’t stick to magnets. Steel and iron are the most common magnetic metals- Ferrum is Latin for iron, and ferro in Spanish, so that’s the root of the term. Nickel and cobalt are also magnetic, but not ferrous as not technically iron.

The magnetic properties of the various metals has to do with the Pauli Exclusion principle of quantum chemistry that dictates the filling of electronic orbitals. Electrons will only pair in an orbital after each orbital in a shell is populated by a single electron first. The third set of orbitals in the third level (3d) has five possible spatial options, thus up to FIVE single electrons may occupy orbitals alone before additional electrons will “pair up” with them.

Now it gets weird...each electron also possesses a quantum quality known as “Spin” :eek: there are two possibilities for spin. Spin “up” and spin “down”. In filling the orbitals one at a time, all unpaired electrons will share the same “spin” (say, spin “up”). THIS is what causes the magnetism of the element. Iron has four unpaired electrons in its 3d orbitals. These electrons exert an electronic angular momentum (as if...) it were a “spinning” point charge (hence the quality “spin”- it’s really NOT physically spinning- we really don’t know WHAT it’s doing with any certainty- but that’s a topic for another post regarding Heisenberg! :confused:) when electrons pair in an orbital, you get one up and one down spin- the angular momentum cancels.
    So, iron has four UNPAIRED electrons in its highest (3d) energy orbital. This accumulation electronic angular momentum results in the metal being attracted to a magnetic field.
    Here is the diagram of the electrons of up/down electrons filling up iron’s shells/orbitals- you can see the unpaired electrons all with “up” spin o_O
    385F8DB6-F17C-4666-8C53-6C6E1FF03119.jpeg

Here is a cartoon of the five 3d orbitals the electrons may occupy. Think of it as a “schmear “ of probability of where one may find the electrons...:rolleyes:
    upload_2020-9-22_23-11-36.png upload_2020-9-22_23-11-36.jpeg
    If you’ve read this far- they are not brass saddles- of that we CAN be certain!;)

Attached Files:

Toadtele likes this.
  8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

A typical, competent guitar player can easily amend his playing technique just a tad, and cover most of the difference right there.

And so often, the change of the saddle material is accompanied by a string change or other innocuous adjustments.

I can't tell the difference with other people in the room, or if my allergies are acting up or if I have used power tools in the last 24 hours.

I don't disagree with you entirely - so many "brass" products contain lead or other "dead" metals and those are overrated, sure. But good brass is good. Even if much of the appeal is how easily brass can be machined, and how quickly a tuned string "takes a set" atop a brass saddle and inspires confidence that it won't slip around and end up out of position over the pole piece.

9. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

I put brass saddles on one of my teles and heard no difference.

10. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

IMHO changing picks or strings makes more of an audible difference than changing saddles.

rich815 likes this.
  11. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

What is that bridge pickup with adjustable pole pieces? I haven't seen that before.

12. Chandlerman

Chandlerman TDPRI Member

boris bubbanov and Michael A. like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.