Brass Saddles

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Joeyb817, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Joeyb817

Joeyb817 TDPRI Member

Anyone notice the difference between the stock Brass saddles on a CS Fender and the Brass Glendales?
    I just switched them out today, the guitar lost its jangle. It was a bright jangle. I swear the guitar sounded better with the stock saddles. Are the Fender saddles the same ones they sell for $15? Don’t get me wrong, the $65 Glendales sound great the highs are more rounded but no jangle.
    Glendales have more density? The brass Fender saddles just work better with the Fender Bridge combination? Brass is brass right? Is there cheaper brass? Lol. The cheap brass just sound better for some reason? I wonder if the CS Fender saddles are made the same way they made them in the 50s.
    I’ll play the guitar for a couple days and feel it out, but I think I may go back to the Fender saddles.
    I switched for the intonation, I could get them close give or take a little between each string with the Fenders.
    But it really isn’t that much better with the Glendales. It’s better but not enough to give up that “sound”
    I wonder if the Glendale bridge will bring it back, but I ain’t doing that.

Attached Files:

2. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

No,
    not all brass is created equal. Don Mare swears by the Seymour Duncan Antiquity saddles for vintage Fender correct.

"Brass is a metal alloy that is always made with a combination of copper and zinc. By varying the amount of copper and zinc, brass can be made harder or softer. Other metals—such as aluminum, lead, and arsenic—may be used as alloying agents to improve machinability and corrosion resistance."

3. Joeyb817

Joeyb817 TDPRI Member

Thank you

PingGuo likes this.
  4. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Not to mention the addition of lead being used in brass prior to the late '70's. Brass produced overseas in places like India still contain lead, so where these companies are sourcing their production can make a big difference.

Joeyb817 likes this.
  5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

All these brass dilemmas are the reason I go straight canvas phenolic :p

SPUDCASTER likes this.
  6. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

Have you put new strings on after the swap? Because if you have kept the same set on the guitar, the spot where the strings were touching the original saddles could be located on the vibrating part of the strings now, which can result in a deaden tone.

eallen and Fingerbleed like this.
  7. Joeyb817

Joeyb817 TDPRI Member

Yup yup new stings. Thanks.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  8. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

Isn't it good to know Fender actually puts on stock saddles (and other hardware) that work pretty darned good? It's also nice there are options out there, but for the average musician a stock Fender is a great axe.

SAguitar, Telecaster88, Geo and 2 others like this.
  9. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Not super crazy about brass saddles. On my 60s Vintera modified I put AV64 saddles on, and removed the brass stock ones. I just prefer the tone better I suppose, but I guess it's all very subjective.

10. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Mass and stiffness make a difference you can hear. Changes the frequency response.

Fendereedo likes this.
  11. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

FYI,

My Rutters brass saddles seem to be as good as the stock Fender ones they replaced...

97DAF7E6-AD4B-4A5B-9C2A-11191A5EE885.jpeg

12. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

Honestly, I can’t tell the difference. I put Glendale brass saddles on two of my Teles because they are highly recommended by Tim Lerch who plays Jazz chord melody, my favorite genre. He’s going for a warmer sound.

I find the Glendale saddles to be very high quality and I like the mass of the saddles.

If you like the jangle of your previous saddles can’t you just put them back on?

Vibrolux59 and El Tele Lobo like this.
  13. Joeyb817

Joeyb817 TDPRI Member

Definitely warmer, yes I’m putting the stock saddles back on.

14. Gris

Gris TDPRI Member

I have the Glendale ‘Groovy Sixties’ threaded steel saddles on my ‘60s clone Tele. They are bright and snappy which what that one needed. I put Glendale brass saddles on another ‘50s clone guitar that was bright and they mellowed it perfectly. I put brass saddles on an already warm ‘73 Thinline and they sucked the highs right out of that one. Diff tools fo diff jobs...

Telecaster88, moosie and Joeyb817 like this.
  15. Goldenshellback

Goldenshellback TDPRI Member

I’ve learned a long time ago when you spend 1500 and up on a guitar, leave it stock, you will save yourself a lot of time and money.

16. Joeyb817

Joeyb817 TDPRI Member

I was going for intonation, never thought they would change the sound. Not all Brass is created equal...
    I’ve changed Tele Saddles before on other guitars, never for the worse though.

17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Joey, are the Glendales you ordered from Dale, the kind where each saddle is contoured to marry up to its neighbor saddle? That's how mine are. And for this reason they almost function not as 3 discrete saddles but as one single saddle.

I'm wondering if that is why they seem to sound so different. Because, it is my impression that FMIC and Dale Clark (and Bill Callaham and Marc Rutters) all use high end, lead free bell brass. Every one of them knows how important it is to keep lead out of the mix. Whereas outfits like Sung Il and other overseas sources are not so particular.

I like the way my '06 era NOS FCS No-Caster sounds so much, I have NEVER made any adjustment to its saddles. I even change strings one at a time. That guitar has so much Special Sauce. I don't want to do anything to mess it up. I don't know why it intonates so well with 11-49s; I just noticed that it did, from the first day I grabbed it.

NewKid and Vibrolux59 like this.
  18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

A good rule of thumb, I think!

Welcome to the show! Good to see someone from the I-26 Corridor.

zephyrR1 and Joeyb817 like this.
  19. Joeyb817

Joeyb817 TDPRI Member

Yes they’re the ones that marry up to each other. I think it’s a “mass” thing, the stock saddles have a gritty jangle if that makes any sense. The Glendales sound great, but the top is rounded now and no jangle.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  20. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

Better isn't more expensive. I much prefer the original Fender plate & saddles over so called " improvements ".

Joeyb817 and Milspec like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.