Brass ferrule block for string-through?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by goodchicken, Jul 23, 2019.

1. goodchicken

goodchicken TDPRI Member

I've seen some brass ferrule blocks or "tone blocks" maybe for string-through bridge designs. My question is, how hard would that be to make?

I've never worked with brass, but I don't reckon it's rocket surgery. Looks like they use a sort of grading system for brass, with 260 and 360 grades being the most common I've seen for purchase. From what I've read, 360 seems more fitting here, could be wrong of course. I don't want something that could be corrosive obviously, and I think some types of brass can be.

They make bandsaw blades that will cut this, right? How would it typically be cut? A mill drill?

How well would it sand?

Sure I could buy this, but it sounds like a fun new project ;)

2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Brass cuts very well. Softer than steel. Be careful, dont buy "1/4 hard" etc. It can be quite hard. 14 tooth or more teeth hacksaw or bandsaw blade will work fine. Drills great. You can sand and polish brass. It fills paper quickly though. I had a large brass tube polished to a mirror like finish for a sailboat I built.

goodchicken likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.